Do I need primer on the underground plumbing connections

ginatx

May 11, 2013
Pool installer is adamant that if I use "United Elchem 2900 Series Pool-Clear Medium Clear PVC Cement" that I don't need to use the purple primer. This sounds wrong and I can't find anything on the net to support not using the purple primer. Any thoughts?

This pool installation is not going well!

Thx for any help on this.

Pool installer is adamant that if I use "United Elchem 2900 Series Pool-Clear Medium Clear PVC Cement" that I don't need to use the purple primer. This sounds wrong and I can't find anything on the net to support not using the purple primer. Any thoughts?

This pool installation is not going well!

Thx for any help on this.

It may be a 1 part weld system. Use the primer anyway.

Purple primer is for audits & inspections. Clear prime is just as effective.

+1 to purple primer.....good way to visually ensure that the PVC work was done (just completed though .... not necessarily leak-tight) ... it’s not unheard of for a plumber (well, really the underpaid day-laborer doing all the sweaty-work) to miss a connection here or there on a complicated layout.

Use primer purple is easiest and use heavy duty or rain or shine blue where it can't be seen. On above ground connects use clear prime and glue and use pvc to abs glue it's green on the skimmer and any fitting to pool and any valves they say on packaging what's abs and what's pvc. U can use pvc glue on abs it advisable to let it dry for 24hrs b4 pressure or water test or back filling. Forget what he says use primer. dirt gets on pipe and fittings in trenches not worth the skimp

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.