Clarksville TN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
We are getting a fiberglass pool installed in November with a SWG. My brother in law found these 6 packs of pool shock on clearance for $5. Should I get some for my pool, I didn’t know if I would ever need them using the TFP method? Thanks!
Active Ingredients: Trichloro-S-Triazinetrione (43.47 %)640D54BA-DA11-46A4-B4A9-A39105BAC12D.jpeg

That’s what I thought, thanks!
I’ve been trying to get lots of clearance items for the pool to stock up since it’s the end of the season. Got $1 Morton 40 lbs pool salts and $29 lounge chairs so far.

Reactions: mickey4paws
You will need to add CYA to your new pool when it gets filled. However, trichlor is not the best way to do it, even if it's cheap. Trichlor is really acidic, for starters, so depending n the fill water you might also end up needing a bunch of baking soda right away which would cancel any savings. Also, you wouldn't want to add it too fast lest you overchlorinate, so it could take a couple weeks to get CYA up where you want it. So I'd pass on this stuff.

Also take a pass on any liquid chlorine, because it deteriorates in storage and by next spring it may just be expensive salt water.

Do watch for stabilizer/CYA, pool toys, maybe brush and pole, leaf skimmers, etc.

Reactions: Apsuhead
Trichlor shock is cut with baking soda to blunt its acidity, so even at a dollar per bag they aren't a very good value. I wouldn't recommend trichlor shock for anything really. Dichlor would be a better option for an initial dose to work on bringing CYA levels up. Calcium hypochlorite might also be found on sale now and could be used as long as your calcium level isn't already in range.

Skip the pH down above and instead just get muriatic acid. It's sold at HD and Lowes for about $13 for a box of two 1 gallon jugs. I find stabilizer is usually pretty expensive in the stores but I've been happy with this stuff from Amazon at a much better price. A 10lb bag usually gets me through a full year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Last edited:
Is there any difference with this MA from home depot? HDX 2 x 1 Gal. Swimming Pool Muriatic Acid (2-Pack)-10014HDX - The Home Depot
Edit ... this stuff isn’t available anywhere near me. I just saw it was cheaper
No - it's the same stuff. It seems to come in different packaging and as a different SKU number in different parts of the country. The HD website tells me the one you linked here is not available at my store. The one I linked above has over 300 in stock at my store.
This stuff is not going to be in the pool section at HD. At my store it's outside on pallets near the bulk materials. Use the website to see the aisle and bin where they keep it at your store as it may not be easy to find.

I would avoid anything Clorox, especially for the pool. I used the calcium hardness increaser and ended up with iron stains near the drain, and I've seen reports on here of people getting stains from their salt. They are cheaply made products with a good marketing department and store placement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.