Do I have to remove old concrete to build a pool?

MorpheusZero

Aug 9, 2021
New Orleans, LA
Hello! I am in the process of deciding if I want to take the time to do some remodeling or buying a new house and selling the one I live in. Due to the nature of the housing market and just not wanting to deal with trying to buy a new house and/or getting stuck with two mortgages--I'm trying to come up with a plan/budget of all the things I need/want to do.

One of those items is a pool! (Among other things like flooring, bathrooms, etc.)

This is what my backyard looks like right now--the majority of it is concrete already. I haven't talked to a contractor yet or anything--I just wanted to see if I could get some very general info from anyone about this.

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question--but I have been searching around a little on this and I cant find any solid examples of my particular situation in which I have existing concrete on the space where I want to put in a pool.

I was thinking I can get rid of this screened in patio completely and I want to put an in-ground pool in the area where concrete already is. One of my main questions I guess is if I would need to get the entirety of this concrete slab busted out and completely replaced to do this, or only the sections where the pool would go? I'm unsure of exactly how a hole gets dug or what all goes into it. This isn't a cost-based question--but a process question. Is the idea here that I would need someone to come in and bust up ALL of the concrete and redo it completely here?

I'm guessing also due to the fact that there are cracks in the concrete and its old--probably is a sign too to get it completely redone regardless?

BACKYARD_EX.jpg

Hey Morpheus and Welcome !!! To build a pool they dig the footprint and about 4 foot extra, appropriately called over dig. The machines will tear up the old patio with ease and I imagine the existing porch will come out/down just as easily for a professional crew. Of course there is some more expense for labor and carting away, but it shouldn’t break the bank. They also need to remove whatever patio is in the way to install the plumbing from the pool equipment to the pool depending on where it will end up in relation. It’s your choice at that point to tie in the old and the new, or rip it all out and start new.

Reactions: MorpheusZero
The pool installer can bust up concrete easy enough and would probably need it gone to dig out a pool. The cost to do that would be tiny compared to the pool build especially if it’s gunite.

They can saw cut the walkway around the patio if it’s in good shape and bust up the rest. But that’s like a $2k job vs $75k for a pool.

Reactions: MorpheusZero
I'd also suggest you check local building codes - it appears you have some overhead wires running across your yard. There may be local codes that require a certain distance (vertically and horizontally) to be maintained from those lines.

Reactions: Bperry
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.