Do Auto Solar Blanket Pool Reels Work/Are They Worth It?

keagle

Jun 21, 2015
East Meadow NY
We like our pool water to be warm so we use a solar cover. I'm the one who uses the pool the most and each year it's becoming more of a pita to use our solar cover. We need to replace our vinyl liner and redo the patio, but that's another story. I am looking into automatic solar cover reels. In my search, I've come across the following:

Auto Pool Reel- APR, Fully Automatic Solar Blanket Cover Reel/Roller

Pool Boy Powered Pool Solar Blanket Reel​

Automatic Solar Blanket Cover Reel/Roller - Remote Controlled, Solar Battery Charged/Powered, Motorized Units for 20x40' in-ground Swimming Pools​

ClearDeck®system​

I am most interested in the Auto Pool Reel. Has anyone used it or have knowledge if any auto reels are worth the expense? I can't help wonder if I should continue using our current reel and attach a rope (material like the strapes you attach to the cover) to the end of the cover and pulling it towards me while standing at the front of the pool. I am open to all suggestions and feedback. I live on Long Island, NY so it's not a long season. My inground pool is Lazy L, 20 X 40. We do not use a diving board.

Reeling the cover up isn't too difficult obviously.
Putting the cover back on however, no so easy.
I did exactly what you said and attached nylon webbing / strapping to the end of the cover. I had a 15x30 oval and made sure the strap was long enough to make it 5' longer than all the way across the pool. With this I could pull the cover over the water as I walked along the side of the pool. I just used the pole to fix the corners and it was done in less than 3 minutes. When I reeled up the cover, I just kept turning and wound the strapping up with the cover.
For the lazy L, you could leave the cover off or fold / unfold it over that section.

I noted in the video they reeled the cover up but did not unreel it, when putting the cover on the leading edges must be pulled out to guide the cover or it bunches up so I do not know how they accomplish putting it on without any assistance. I did the pull cord also, Polypropylene rope floats so it makes a good pull cord and not much strength needed so it can be small diameter. However I do suggest manually unrolling the cover most of the way first, I tried unrolling the cover by pulling on cord and had 2 issues. the pressure will cause the plastic cover to rip at the attachment point over time and it pulls my reel over if I pull too hard/quickly. Also, in the video I saw the reel did not have wheels, I store my reel away from the pool when using the pool so large wheels that can go over grass are a necessity for me.

Reeling the cover up isn't too difficult obviously.
Putting the cover back on however, no so easy.
I did exactly what you said and attached nylon webbing / strapping to the end of the cover. I had a 15x30 oval and made sure the strap was long enough to make it 5' longer than all the way across the pool. With this I could pull the cover over the water as I walked along the side of the pool. I just used the pole to fix the corners and it was done in less than 3 minutes. When I reeled up the cover, I just kept turning and wound the strapping up with the cover.
For the lazy L, you could leave the cover off or fold / unfold it over that section.
Thank you. I may try the strap before I invest $$$. Still undecided.

I noted in the video they reeled the cover up but did not unreel it, when putting the cover on the leading edges must be pulled out to guide the cover or it bunches up so I do not know how they accomplish putting it on without any assistance. I did the pull cord also, Polypropylene rope floats so it makes a good pull cord and not much strength needed so it can be small diameter. However I do suggest manually unrolling the cover most of the way first, I tried unrolling the cover by pulling on cord and had 2 issues. the pressure will cause the plastic cover to rip at the attachment point over time and it pulls my reel over if I pull too hard/quickly. Also, in the video I saw the reel did not have wheels, I store my reel away from the pool when using the pool so large wheels that can go over grass are a necessity for me.
Thanks for your reply!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.