DIY Rehab of a 50 year old Uniwall pool

ACW5297

Apr 7, 2020
Dayton, OH
We are doing a DIY uniwall rehab on our pool- at this point if it doesn't hold water we can't get a new pool until 2023 due to scheduling so we decided to go for it! Something had to be done as we opened it and had about 1 foot of water in the shallow end...
These are pics of the fiberglass crack repair (we have 2 large and 4 small areas) and bottom crack repair with torque lock staples. hydraulic cement is now over staples. no pic but new caulk is on between walls and bottom. Concrete deck and coping is scheduled to be done end of June/beginning of July and new skimmer will be placed at that time due to the fact that it will be killed during concrete demo.
items yet to be done: new light niche seal ring and gasket are on order, rehab return ports (posted question about that) fix cracks found under skimmer faceplate by screw holes, replace return line to one line due to that fact that it goes into the concrete deck and will get destroyed when they do the new deck. and of course we still have to paint the pool (I know most people dont like to paint them--- our only option at this time)...

I will keep sharing as we go.

Attachments

• IMG_20210417_094506.jpg
    IMG_20210417_094506.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20210417_154428.jpg
    IMG_20210417_154428.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20210418_140514.jpg
    IMG_20210418_140514.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20210418_140518.jpg
    IMG_20210418_140518.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 74
Hey ACW !!!
and of course we still have to paint the pool (I know most people dont like to paint them--- our only option at this time)
We have no problems with paint. We have problems with the durability of the paint due to EPA regulations that watered them down and made them needing a recoat every year or two instead of 5+.

If you are ok with that and have to do what you gotta do, Then we are ok with it too. We advise people to make their own decisions after being educated on the subject matter all the time. Folks can then then decide what’s best for them at that point and time, even if it isn’t the best long term solution.

I know it’s just beginning but thanks for letting us take this journey with you. It will be FUN to watch. Post up them updates and keep those pics comin !!!!

Reactions: ACW5297
How deep were your cracks? The ones I have are less than 1in. Not sure of I need this type of repair
The deepest spot was several inches deep. This was the area just below the fiberglass wall and into the floor/ledge. Since it was soo deep there and we decided to go the route to put them down the area that the crack was extending. This crack was caused we think from when the pool was built. They dug out for the pool and placed the dirt around the sides without any retaining walls. So in the corner (where the crack is the largest just below the fiberglass) that part of the dirt area has started to give way. We are working to get large boulders in to stop the erosion for the future.

We are doing a DIY uniwall rehab on our pool- at this point if it doesn't hold water we can't get a new pool until 2023 due to scheduling so we decided to go for it! Something had to be done as we opened it and had about 1 foot of water in the shallow end...
These are pics of the fiberglass crack repair (we have 2 large and 4 small areas) and bottom crack repair with torque lock staples. hydraulic cement is now over staples. no pic but new caulk is on between walls and bottom. Concrete deck and coping is scheduled to be done end of June/beginning of July and new skimmer will be placed at that time due to the fact that it will be killed during concrete demo.
items yet to be done: new light niche seal ring and gasket are on order, rehab return ports (posted question about that) fix cracks found under skimmer faceplate by screw holes, replace return line to one line due to that fact that it goes into the concrete deck and will get destroyed when they do the new deck. and of course we still have to paint the pool (I know most people dont like to paint them--- our only option at this time)...

I will keep sharing as we go.
Here are some more photos. We have repaired the cracks, repaired cracked fiberglass, sanded the entire pool (walls and floor), cleaned, caulked at seams, and now coated with first coat of paint. Prior to second coat we have to repair 3 pin holes we found at the main drain inside the pool that are not sealing with the epoxy paint so that will get done prior to second paint coat. We are planning to paint the return lines inside the pool a lighter color that is also going to be accented onto the bottom after the second dark color... more pics to come after that is done.

Once we get it painted and cured then we will replace the gasket and light sealing ring, plug the conduit in back of the light niche that we think had a leak, and place the light back in and start to fill in increments to confirm it holds past the ledge, then the light, then up to the skimmer...only up to skimmer as the deck and coping are getting replaced and the skimmer is getting replaced when they take out the current deck. I got a new one and a pour a lid so the lid will match the deck when its done...

This thing is already much better than when we moved in which is the profile pic----

Attachments

• PXL_20210511_213355400.jpg
    PXL_20210511_213355400.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 51
  • PXL_20210511_224331008.jpg
    PXL_20210511_224331008.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 50
  • PXL_20210511_235851491.jpg
    PXL_20210511_235851491.jpg
    566.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Love
Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.