This side will be visible from the street - just barely

DSCF8325.jpg

DSCF8326.jpg

A coat of primer for the front/trim etc
I decided to put a window in that I had removed from my 3 season front porch

DSCF8333.jpg

DSCF8336.jpg

View of the bar roof
I moved the blue rope light up after this, so it no longer runs down along that post

DSCF8334.jpg

The temp pool for the summer

DSCF8335.jpg

I paint the front with some leftover red paint for the 1st coat, I actually like it....as do the neighbors
But not sure how it would look with the bottom red too....might be too much

DSCF8337.jpg

And I add some lights....that I bought about 7 years ago for the cabana

DSCF8343.jpg

Close up of one light, they were actually "made" for a reg large clear bulb that would almost fill the area out to the wire supports
I opted for 9w CFL bulbs instead -warm lite
I also added another identical larger fixture on the North side with a 13w daylight CFL bulb - brighter white light for people walking to the pool from the driveway

DSCF8344.jpg

I switch to the back of the cabana to prime it & get some paint on there
I had switched to a 20'x50 tarp - a royal PIA to pull back to work on the cabana
The ground is not even behind the cabana, plus I have "junk" out there, and a compost bin
Lots of stuff to work around, and a Rhody bush & large lilac

DSCF8345.jpg

I wanted to get the window opening area primed & painted so I could install the window - just a storm w/screen

DSCF8346.jpg

View of one of the 2 large compost bins, they measure about 4'w x52" tall by about 10' long

DSCF8347.jpg

I again use some leftover paint for the 1st coat to cover the white primer - this time blue
The 2nd final coat will be a dark Forest green so the back of the cabana will "blend" in when viewed from the woods

DSCF8348.jpg

I've done a little bit more work on the cabana
South side is totally roofed, I installed a vent near the peak by the front window - mostly for looks
The vent is working right now, once the solar heat goes on the roof the vent will be closed during the solar heating season

So what the pool looked like as I started to cut the liner out
On the far right in the 1st pic is the corner that was pulling away the 1st year we moved in (2004)
After cutting away some of the liner in the shallow end I decided the liner had to be replaced this year

DSCF8360.jpg

DSCF8359.jpg

This is the worst corner as far as rust on the walls, but its all surface rust
This corner had several leaks that had been patched
Plan is to sand it down & paint with oil based rustoleum silver paint -left over from painting my radiators

DSCF8362.jpg

Most of the liner is out, as least from the bottom
I can remove the rest around the walls later
I used 8 of the small tables you still see in the deep end to raise the liner & force the remaining water into a smaller circle
As I went I'd cut the liner smaller & smaller, I also had to add a pump in the cement hopper to pump out ground water while I was pumping water out of the liner
I used a 5g bucket when I got down to the end to scoop the last of the muck out

Now to see what problems have been uncovered

DSCF8361.jpg

One of the 1st 2 holes I found were on the slope to the shallow end
They weeped water for a bit as the water was pumped out
The one on the right I patched tonite as a trial, see how it looks in the morning

DSCF8363.jpg

The 3rd area I found leaking, also on the slope to shallow end & junction between floor/sloped wall
I also patched this one tonite, very small narrow slit
I found my 2 submersible pumps, so pumping out the ground water that has seeped in went much faster

DSCF8366.jpg

Now the opposite side of the deep end is in worse shape
Most of this damage has occurred since the water level dropped after the liner failed

DSCF8369.jpg

And final pics of the pool before repairs start
Planning on starting tomorrow, not sure how much I will get done as the wife wants to go to the Marshfield Fair
I've picked up the 1st 8 sheets of rigid foam I need....

DSCF8377.jpg

DSCF8378.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's easy....I have no life :lol: ...... :(
The (blue) addition I spent 2 months framing out...I was out of work at the time
So we had a choice, I frame it, or go back to work & take a Home Equity to pay someone $60k or better to frame it out...and take 10 years to get out of debt
If we had known how bad the economy was going to tank I might have opted to go back to work
But all in all things worked out OK, addition is fully paid off, as is all the work I have done over the years
We are not underwater on the house, as a lot of people are....The sweat equity has paid off

The wife only complains that I seem to get things 95% done....then move on to the next project without finishing
And every year I say to myself....no more big projects this year !!
The next big project will be redoing the kitchen.....promised the wife that would be next...before the liner failed

The 2 patches I did last nite are OK, not my best work but it was almost 8pm & kinda dark
They are on the floor & will be covered with rigid insulation, so not too worried & why I did them 1st
The 1st patch I did this morning turned out great, moving on to the next patch, pics later

1st 2 patches, the long slit came out OK
The long darker area is where the long slit was located

DSCF8379.jpg

The 2nd one not as nice as I would have liked
Not as flat & blended in as I wanted, so stopped last nite & continued this morning

DSCF8380.jpg

There were 2 large areas that needed to be patched on this wall
This patch came out really nice
I still have to smooth out the sand at the bottom, but that will be covered by rigid- not critical
Once I get the rigid in the hopper the extra sand/debris will go on top of the rigid
Then a layer of concrete over that - new floor for the hopper
I checked the #80 bags to see how much I need...approx 27 bags for a 6x8 area 4" deep ...ouch :cry:

DSCF8381.jpg

Stopped for lunch....then we went to see the USS Salem in Quincy MA - heavy cruiser they have on display

Then to HD for a few more bags & back to work
I patched the long thin crack in one deep end corner
I have a very small baseball sized hole at the bottom junction with the floor to still do
Water is actually coming thru the hole, might need hydraulic cement to patch that

DSCF8382.jpg

I also patched one of the small holes up near the wall, I enlarged the hole 1st to pull out any loose sand etc
Then really packed the cement in there to totally fill the void, after that I started on the really bad side of the deep end
I got maybe 1/2 of the bad side done, this is the last really bad area to patch
Dinner time & I decided to call it a nite, much easier doing this in the daylight
I've just about finished using ~250 lbs of dry mix, not sure how heavy that is once mixed
My back is feeling it a little, its the bending over to mix & apply that really gets ya

Last pic for the nite is the lite on the North wall
I saw the moon was out so decided to take a pic, using the flash actually made the sky look darker
Just not the best pic for seeing what the lite looks like

DSCF8384.jpg

If you have water leaking in is this due to a high water table? You may want to ask the experts if a sump pump or other precautions should be part of your rebuild.

UnderWaterVanya said:
If you have water leaking in is this due to a high water table? You may want to ask the experts if a sump pump or other precautions should be part of your rebuild.

Yes due to a high water table, not going to install a sump pump
Pool has been here for 30+ years, the only time its a problem is when the liner has to be replaced
We'll see what happens when I patch the baseball sized hole today

End of the weekend status, I only have one small hole near the base of the deep end wall to fix
I need to feather in a few areas, started to skim coat the rest of the walls
The 1st (4) 2x8 rigid boards are in place, pavers on top & sand rubble...almost ready for the new floor to be poured
Ground water in put has slowed quite a bit since plugging the 2 holes in either side of the deep end
It looks so much better then it used to, last of the liner will be taken down later in the week & go in next weeks trash

DSCF8385.jpg

The vent I added on the front, between the windows & vent I can keep the attic as cool as I need
Still have that bit of roofing I need to cut back over the left side of the window

DSCF8386.jpg

Better pic of the lite on the North side, its actually much bigger then the other lites, not that you can tell
I won't have a gutter on this side, but I will install a gutter on the other side
I have (2) 300g water storage tanks, for every 1" of rain falling on the South roof of the cabana I can collect up to 235g of water

DSCF8387.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.