Kailua-Kona, HI
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Retired in Kailua Kona, Hawaii, we now intend to use our pool year 'round for exercise therapy --- so we've been considering the addition of solar heat to attain an average 85F temp. Solar heating is our only viable option, since alternative heaters are too cost-prohibitive here.

I've read several TFP solar heat threads, all seeming to indicate that NO system which was installed by either DIY-ers or contractors performs either as was expected or "as advertised" by the system manufacturers on a continuous (not seasonal) basis. It's obvious that solar water heating systems, unlike solar photo-voltaic systems, require quite a bit of maintenance and/or repair.

So, has any reader installed a high-quality roof-mounted rigid solar heating system which has NOT produced ongoing repair headaches? I realize that "man-made" does not imply "perfection". I'm just looking for 4 out of 5 stars! :scratch:

Re: Solar heater creation - pump needed

I have never needed to make a repair and think it works great for what or is intended. But, in the winter when the air is cooler than the pool or no sun is available, it will not add heat too the pool.

Ditto. I purchased Vortex panels from Solar Direct and installed them about 5 years ago. They work great and I haven't had any issues with them. I would give 5 of 5 stars to my solar. There are many folks here who buy and DIY install their own solar panels. What typically isn't successful is when people attempt to make their own solar heaters with black plastic or rubber tubing because they are unable to get enough square feet facing the sun or flow enough water through small 1/2" or 3/4" tubing to get enough heat gain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.