DIY Hose style solar heater

MGT1981

Jun 9, 2019
MA
Hi Everyone,

New user here was hoping someone could give some advice. I was looking at building a "Solar powered" pool heater for my 24 ft above ground pool. Was going to go with the "200 feet of black hose coiled up and stuck in the sun" method. I then realized that you need a separate pump to do this.

So what I was wondering was, is there any reason I could not do this using a 200 ft coil of the return hose between the filter and the pool? I am going to keep the coil on the ground so I don't have to worry about it pumping up to the roof. Just curious if anyone has tried this? im somewhat surprised everyone seems to do it as an isolated system and am assuming there is a reason for it

Search for previous threads on the subject. Homemade solar heaters are typically not cost effective. There are cheap commercial panels on eBay and there are websites that will tell you approximate BTU production for solar panels. 200 feet of black hose is not sufficient to heat a pool in a meaningful way. On the other hand, a solar cover might give you 3-4 degrees higher temperature.

Reactions: MGT1981
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.