Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I hope this helps someone else sav a few dollars:

I have a 3" round leading edge bar on my Coverstar pool cover. After 17 years the plastic insert on the right side began to crack and bend. Replacement part costs between $87 to $130 per piece on the web depending on the vendor.
The broken part seems to be replaced with either a white or black plastic. One vendor referred to the black plastic as "Derlin plastic"-apparently crazy strong and also very expensive if you have it custom cut. The dimensions are about 1 X 2.75 X 7 inches.

I found precut pieces of Derlin plastic 1 X 3 X 6 inches at Bantam tools for about $15 each- $46 for two pieces with tax and UPS shipping. Arrived in 48 hours.

I cut down the height on my table saw to match the originals, slowly routed grooves along the top and bottom with a 3/16 round top router bit just deep enough so the insert would slide easily in the aluminum leading edge tube.

Made multiple passes slowly raising the bit until the depth was correct and flipped side to side so the grove would be centered. I rounded over the edges of the piece on the router because it was a bit thicker than the original and fit in the tube better.

Measured and drilled two 9/64 holes on one end and swapped the bracket with the original screws.

Reinstalled both- will keep the old non broken left side one for a backup.

The router bit cost about $27 at HD but I get to keep that and use it again.

I don't think the lost inch in length will make a difference and these might be stronger because they are slightly thicker.

I will repost if there are issues or they fail. Project took just over an hour.

If you get a kick out of this check out my DIY coverstar sliders build.

Best.

Attachments

• IMG_0972.JPG
    IMG_0972.JPG
    197 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0975.JPG
    IMG_0975.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0976.JPG
    IMG_0976.JPG
    231.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0978.JPG
    IMG_0978.JPG
    602.6 KB · Views: 9
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.