DIY build NJ looking for opinions/advice

jimmythegreek

TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 10, 2017
Morris Cnty NJ
Hello to all, very nice site and layout!

Im a contractor in NJ and am embarking down the pool install road......Ive done lots of excavating/plumbing and own a bobcat, very comfortable with the install process. My biggest hurdle so far has been the municipality, Im on a corner lot on a cul-de-sac and they consider me to have 2 front yards so Ive had to go thru zoning boards to get variances for the pool itself, a fence higher than 6' (may not go that high but better to get in one shot w rest) and impervious coverage (allowed 25% of property total, Im at 21% and will be at 27% w the paver patio planned).

I wont have the approvals until October so I have a little time to get my stuff 2gether and Ive been researching as much as possible. I can only go as big as 15'x32' on the pool and Im heavily leaning towards a fiberglass pool. Obvious reason is the ease of installation, I have to move a 2' high retaining wall back about 20ft and I have a 3' grade drop towards house from edge of backyard to the rear of house. I have rocky mixed soil w some clay spots, so Im leaning towards glass to be able to quickly dig the hole and set the pool on the new gravel base and backfill in a few days time weather window this fall, after I will let pool sit until spring and let the backfill settle (will compact as I go) to do the patio and finish work. If the weather holds I will get the wall and the rough grade done this year as well. Id love to do a vinyl liner pool and save some money, but with work being busy and labor rates, plus concrete collar and the floot, I think its gonna be a wash, and I can get the glass in and done in 2-3 days with one of my guys and be kinda done w that end.

What Im having trouble with is the pool depth, and wife's opinion. We have a 5 year old boy that loves to swim (mostly for him) and an 11 mo old boy. wife is a teacher and spends summer driving half hour or more to friends with pools, or 1 hour plus driving to my parents beach house, she rly wants the pool to stay-cation, I dont care either way for a pool, Im always way too busy working but hoping this will make for more family time. theres a big jump in price of shells for deeper pools, 5.5' to 6' deep pools are in one price range, 7'-8' are in another. She wants a deeper pool for the boys and friends to be able to jump into and a slide, but I see people on here with 6' pools saying they have no issues with jumping and slides, I could use some advice as to what others have, I see such a waste of standing space with a deep pool, as 1/3 is under 5' the rest is the slope and deep end, and on a medium pool seems not worth it.

thanks Ill post pictures soon I just pulled 11 stumps and working on some rough excavating/grading.........

I would definitely go deeper (I'm almost done a 9 foot deep vinyl). I would make sure you do your research. From what I have read fiberglass pools are not as easy to install as I initially thought. Another big factor for me was shape. With vinyl you have a lot more options.

Remember, almost no one is going to be standing in 5.5-6' of water either. To me that is kind of a no-man's land of depth. Either stick to 5 feet and under so people can actually stand or go 8+ feet so people can jump / slide in.

I would vote deep as you can always get floating chairs to lounge around in ... and the kids will have more fun that way too.

I will caution you ... we have seen some horror stories with fiberglass pools as far as cracking etc right after installs. And that was with installers that supposedly knew how to install fiberglass pools. Getting the base and back-fill correct is VERY important.

my issue w the deep pool is two-fold. the first is they get much more expensive than a shallow shell, and Im on a tight budget, I shouldnt be putting a pool in to begin with, trying to keep the cost down as much as possible. We dont want a diving board and with a medium size pool when u get a deep pool u lose 2/3rds to unstandable space for adults. most models are just under 4' that slope to 5.5 or 6' so the majority of pool is standable for adults and I feel deep enuff for a slide. Im not worried about the install I have excavated as an operator years ago helping out my snowplow partner install a few pools and 2 were glass and we had no issues and they were cheap pools to begin with the fiberglass has come a long way. I like the sport pools myself like the shallow on both ends and deeper middle, but Its hard to say how pool will be used Ive never owned one

Are you sure it won't be easier and cheaper to do gunite? In my area there isn't any difference between fiberglass and gunite. With gunite you just dig the hole, put in rebar and spray the concrete on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.