Diving into the SWCG world

Feb 24, 2018
Richmond, TX
Alright so Im seriously considering installing a SWCG. Im already through pg 8 of this forum which has brought up a reoccurring question for myself. Equipment wise - I have a VS pump with NO automation. My pumps run on high (90%) from 11 am - 6 pm and then low (40%) from 6 pm to 1 am. I keep reading that the SWCG should not be left ON( possible explosion) while the pumps are off. I will tell you I am not electrically inclined so that is causing a bit of my confusion.

If the SWCG is wired to the control panel, when my pumps shut OFF, wouldnt this turn the SWCG OFF. I see some folks have an intermatic switch as well. I do not, and am trying to avoid installing one, but is this a necessity without having automation involved? I understand the flow switch is the secondary device to turn off SWCG.

BTW, current chlorination method is LC...EVERYDAY

I use less electricity in 24 hours at low speed than you do in one hour of 90% speed. Both pump and SWG run 24/7. No need for timers. Or you just wire them together with a timer. So if one is on they are both on. And vice versa.

Reactions: Berger82
I use less electricity in 24 hours at low speed than you do in one hour of 90% speed. Both pump and SWG run 24/7. No need for timers. Or you just wire them together with a timer. So if one is on they are both on. And vice versa.
Thanks. I actually use to run my pump 24/7 but then I started thinking more about wear and tear. Im not too concerned about electricty use, I pay a flat rate each month. When you say, "wire them together with a timer", do you mean the existing timer in the control panel, or a new separate timer?

Mine are wired to the same double breaker. A mechanical timer controls the sub panel, but i have it set to always be on. The wear and tear is much less with 24/7 low rpms than it is with several hours of full speed.

Reactions: Berger82
I have a SWG because I DONT want to pour in bleach, EVERYDAY.

Im one of those guys that have my SWG on an intermatic timer. I do that mainly because I run my VSP 24/7. To try and "tune" my SWG output to a 24 hr runtime would be silly IMO. With my timer I can run the SWG only as long as I need to, at whatever % output I need, so I can chlorinate my pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.