Diving Boards

natewa

Dec 31, 2015
Orange County, CA
I'm building a new pool and plan on installing a diving board. The 2 options I am looking at are the SR Smith Salt Pool Jump System - which uses a kind of leaf spring type system, and the Flight Deck II - which derives its springy-ness from the board itself flexing. Does anyone have experience with either one of these that wouldn't mind weighing in? Also, my pool dimensions will tolerate either a 6' or 8' board - any preferences? I am looking for the greatest "fun factor" rather than aesthetics. Thanks!!

Isaac-1

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2010
SW Louisiana
Have you checked with your home insurance first, many of them will not cover pools with diving boards. And for a second question is your pool big enough / deep / long enough to safely install a diving board, mine is a 20x40 traditional hopper end, and I feel it is about the minimal size to consider having a diving board.

Patrick_B

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2011
Midland TX
Welcome to TFP!

Once you solve the insurance, and safety matters a board is fantastic fun if that's what you want. If you want spring and bounce, you need a board with springs. Those without are very stiff and lack that extra bounce you are likely looking for. We went with a spring model and couldn't be happier.

pooldv

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 10, 2012
FL panhandle
Try Travelers Ins if you have trouble, they seem pretty open to pools. My rates didn't change and they didn't even ask about a diving board. Unlike my brother in FL who had to remove the diving board and the brackets to mount it had to be cut flush with the deck.

bobby1017

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 2, 2011
Petaluma, Ca
I got the SR smith cantilever jump stand with the 8' board, has a lot of spring. My son can do a 1 1/2 easily and is close to doing a double, I'm lucky to get around once. When I told my insurance co about the pool and board, they weren't worried as long as the pool met the requirements as far as depth and bottom contour.