Distance of AG pool to pump, filter, and heater

Jasper1

Bronze Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Boulder/Colorado
Hi, I have a 21 X 41 above ground pool (28K gallons) and I'm trying to research if I can place the pool pump, filter and heater about 100 feet away. I don't have the pump, filter, or heater yet so I am flexible. Is this possible? Any recommendation for the ideal pump for this set up?

If you're talking about the equipment and pool being on approximately the same level then 100' shouldn't be a problem. I'd go with a fairly large filter (300 sqft or greater) and either a 2-speed or variable speed pump about 1½ hp.

As long as the pipe is big enough, the distance really doesn't matter.

I would suggest a variable speed pump.

As long as you keep the flow below 63 gpm (6 ft/sec), 2" pvc is fine.

If you're going to have multiple suction lines, use separate pipes for each suction.

You could put the pump a mile away from the pool and it would work as long as the pipe is big enough. For 63 gpm at 1 mile away, you can use 5.5" pipe and it would be fine.

Of course, trenching 1 mile and buying and installing 2 miles of 5.5" pipe wouldn't be cheap. There would be 13,000 gallons of water just in the pipes.

Even if you have a 400,000 btu/hr heater, you should not need to exceed 50 gpm.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.