Disappointing acid wash

I took a sharp wood chisel and scraped a small spot to see if the stains are just on the surface or if they are deep, and I definitely had to scrape up a little plaster to remove stain.
So, it would probably take a lot of acid to get to a uniform finish and that would make it super rough.

You can diamond polish it, but that can be expensive and not everyone can do diamond polishing.

I would probably fill it and get it back to functional while you explore the options for what can be done next.

You now have a much better idea about what you're dealing with.

The current company seems somewhat unreliable, so maybe get some estimates from other companies to see what they recommend and prices.

The pool should be safe and usable and the discoloration is mostly cosmetic.

Reactions: e1836936
I would probably fill it and get it back to functional while you explore the options for what can be done next.
I just restarted the water.

The current company seems somewhat unreliable, so maybe get some estimates from other companies to see what they recommend and prices.
Agreed.
I don't envision the manager coming out, but the tech left some equipment here, so I know that he'll be back at some point, and want to do the chemical re-balance, which upon completion there's the whole issue of the 50% ($550) balance due. That said, at this point, I'm not inclined to let the tech do it and withhold the final payment.

Last edited:
I know that he'll be back at some point, and want to do the chemical re-balance, which upon completion there's the whole issue of the 50% ($550) balance due. That said, at this point, I'm not inclined to let the tech do it and withhold the final payment.
I understand that the result was not as good as you wanted, but they also didn't promise any specific results.

Maybe you can negotiate a discount based on the value of the remainder of the work, but I don't think that you can say that they didn't perform the work that was agreed to.

Maybe take it as a lesson learned about discussing things like expected results.

Based on the scrape test, it's likely that the acid wash was done as much as it could be without seriously etching the plaster.

The person doing the acid wash needs to balance the desire to get a good result on appearance vs. making the surface super rough.

Let's see how it looks when it is full and maybe get some estimates from other companies to see what they recommend.

Last edited:
Floating was one of my first concerns that I asked the tech about and he said that the main drain in the deep end should have a valve that automatically pops open to allow ground water in, release pressure and avoid floating. He said, the "they wouldn't have sent me out to do this, if they thought it would pop out".
It's a misunderstanding about the hydrostat that it "relieves the pressure".

All it does is allow water to go into the pool from the ground water.

Think about a boat on a lake with a plug in the bottom of the boat.

If you pull the plug, the boat does not immediately sink, it slowly sinks based on the total weight of the boat vs. the weight of the displaced water.

A pool with an open hydrostatic valve can definitely float if you get an increase in ground water that goes higher than the water in the pool.

If you want them to finish the job, you should pay the whole amount.

If you want to finish the job yourself, you can ask for some amount of discount based on the value of the work they won't have to do.

For example, if they have done 80% of the work, they should be paid at least 80% of the agreed amount.

So far, they have done what they said they would do even if it wasn't exactly the result you were hoping to get.

The pool was in poor condition when you got it and that's not the fault of the service company.

They can't make it look brand new with an acid wash.

If you want them to finish the job, you should pay the whole amount.

If you want to finish the job yourself, you can ask for some amount of discount based on the value of the work they won't have to do.

For example, if they have done 80% of the work, they should be paid at least 80% of the agreed amount.

So far, they have done what they said they would do even if it wasn't exactly the result you were hoping to get.

The pool was in poor condition when you got it and that's not the fault of the service company.

They can't make it look brand new with an acid wash.
Thanks!

You've been very helpful!

If I may; how did you come to be so knowledgeable about pool care?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.