Dirty water in return jets

Aug 28, 2018
waterford
Hello,

I have a Hayward S-200 sand filter and it has been spitting out dirty water from the return jets once I turn it on. Timeline of it looks like this:

1- Turn pool on
2- Clear water out of return jets for approx. 5 seconds
3- Big air bubbles out of return jets for 2 seconds
4- Dirty/green water for 15 seconds
5- Back to normal filtration

I have replaced the sand in the filter. I have backwashed/rinsed for an extended period. The chemicals are generally within normal limits. I have checked for air leaks and O-ring damage. So I have run out of options. Please let me know what you think it could be! Appreciate the help!

Re: Dirty water in return jets

Is this a new installation? When did the issue start?

Can we get photos of the equipment set up?

Does this happen all the time or only under some settings?

If you started up in backwash and then rinse then went to Filter does this still happen?

Have you got water feature on the system and where is this plumbed in and how does it work? When was it last run?

Do you have a spa on the system?
Where is this plumbed in and how does it work? When was it last run?

Probably other questions once the above is added.

The installation is not new. We moved into the home about 4 years ago so at least that old. It has been ongoing now for about a month.

Happens all the time whenever I turn the pool on regularly on filter setting. If I do backwash/rinse/filter then sometimes it will and sometimes it won't spit out dirty water.

There is no water feature or spa on the system just a standard sand filter.

Thanks again for trying to help me with this...I'll owe you big time if you can help!

Sounds like it might be a bad multiport. If the spider gasket or key top assembly is bad then it'll let dirty water go into your returns.

Also another symptom of a bad multiport is losing water thu the backwash line while on filter.

Dirty water coming back into my pool but no sand. Is it possible the laterals of the filter need to be replaced? Most of what I've read says you'd notice sand coming from the return jets but I don't see anything...however the dirty green algae is just going right through when I vacuum.

P.S. I have changed the sand, spider gasket, etc. to no avail. Feel like my next step goes to the laterals....HELP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.