Dirty water after bad storm

May 17, 2018
omaha, NE
We had a large storm with a lot of hail. The day before the storm the pool was crystal clear. That same day I put a bunch of black mulch down in the plant bed that runs along the back of the patio about 6 feet from the pool. After the storm the pool turned completely black. My belief is that the water rushing over the black mulch resulted in the black dye on the mulch coming off and running into the pool. Is it better to drain and refill or try to slam with chlorine to get the water clear again?

Thanks to this site for the SLAM method, it worked wonders for me last year which was my first year as a pool owner.

Attachments

• 20190528_055328.jpg
    20190528_055328.jpg
    586.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Wow
Reactions: Arizonarob
Yes, you should SLAM. Removing all debris before you start from the surface and bottom. If you have the option to vacuum to waste, I would certainly do that for the excess pool water before you start. Hopefully most of your debris floating since its new and you were clear the day before.

Folks from your neck of the woods have been frequent posters the last two weeks for flooded pools. Most have cleared up rather quickly.

Draining is not necessary and would be dangerous for your liner given that the ground is already saturated.

Also, please complete your signature in your profile so we all know what type of pool & equipment you have for subsequent assistance.

We had the Hurricane come through October of last year, our pool looked similar. Daughter and I jumped in, cleaned all the debris and ran the pump (while still connected to the generator - risky, but worth it) Shocking how quickly the pool took care of itself once all the debris was removed and water started circulating with SWG running... You'll never know til you try though...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.