Dirt / stains in bottom of pool?

Pool store says it's rust and my phosphates are super high (think they said 58, as in 5800?). Wait for chlorine to go back down, put in some metal free, and use some stain free granule stuff in a sock and slowly move it around the rust spots on the bottom. Will see if that works.

Personally I think you'd have better luck with a SLAM Process and treating for mustard algae like I suggested before. What are you going to do when this round of magic potions doesn't work? Try more?

Phosphates don't matter. Treating for it is one of the Big Scams pool stores run to get money from you. The TFP method of pool care treats the problem -- algae -- and not some irrelevant symptom. As long as you keep algae itself beat down with chlorine, you won't have algae problems, regardless of how much phosphate is present in the water.

Keep us posted on your progress. Remember that whatever method you use, you've got a lot of scrubbing in your future. :epds:

Personally I think you'd have better luck with a SLAM Process and treating for mustard algae like I suggested before. What are you going to do when this round of magic potions doesn't work? Try more?

Phosphates don't matter. Treating for it is one of the Big Scams pool stores run to get money from you. The TFP method of pool care treats the problem -- algae -- and not some irrelevant symptom. As long as you keep algae itself beat down with chlorine, you won't have algae problems, regardless of how much phosphate is present in the water.

Keep us posted on your progress. Remember that whatever method you use, you've got a lot of scrubbing in your future. :epds:
Yeah, I’m in that process now. I’m still not convinced what it is as it doesn’t feel bumpy, didn’t dissolve via a vitamin C drop or 20 crushed up tablets in a sock, didn’t dissolve with scrubbing with a chlorine tablet, etc. it doesn’t smear green or anything. It doesn’t come up with a magic eraser. The only way I’ve really gotten any of it to budge is scraping on the steps with a putty knife.

Will keep at it. My test kit looks like it might arrive early today so my plan is to SLAM it, I just need to get the readings right so I’m putting enough in.

You can fill the tube to 10 ml, add one heaping scoop of the FAS-DPD reagent, and count each drop as 0.5 ppm, making it so you divide the number of drops by half to get your FC. Saves on reagents, and you only rarely need the accuracy of 25 ml.

What was your CC?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can fill the tube to 10 ml, add one heaping scoop of the FAS-DPD reagent, and count each drop as 0.5 ppm, making it so you divide the number of drops by half to get your FC. Saves on reagents, and you only rarely need the accuracy of 25 ml.

What was your CC?
Nothing - I added the drops as instructed but it never changed color. Is it possible I did something wrong?

(I mean of course it’s possible but is it likely)

Does this mean it's 100% rust/metal staining at this point?
Not at all, It just means something is really stuck on there. I wouldn't use the eraser of the softer pool vinyl.

Did you say earlier it was concentrated at one end? Could something have been spilled?

Not at all, It just means something is really stuck on there. I wouldn't use the eraser of the softer pool vinyl.

Did you say earlier it was concentrated at one end? Could something have been spilled?
It's in one corner of the pool basically, and on the stairs. I can't think of what it could have been, that's a pretty wide area. If I had to ballpark it, something like a 10x10 area contains virtually all of the dots.

Just going to be difficult to get enough force/elbow grease in the water to remove the stain. I'll keep hitting it with the broom but I haven't moved 1 speck of it so far with it.

no progress. tried the new smaller brush, still won't budge the spots. waiting on the chlorine level to drop and hit it with a bunch of AA on the area and see if it does anything.

barring that i'm about to start swimming underwater with a plastic putty knife, i'm out of ideas

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.