Direction of Returns

Ribbod

May 30, 2018
Marietta/ga
I know this question has been asked numerous times and I've searched and read a lot of what others do.. However, My pool is "special" LOL...

I only have 2 returns on the same wall as the skimmer and no main drain.. I'm hoping if I can get a clear understanding, it will help with the poor circulation and help with current SLAM... I've attached picture for reference.. I do believe they are too close to the surface (pointed slightly up and out).. Thinking I should point down to stir things up then adjust after slam, but which direction would be best with this set up?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1655.jpeg
    IMG_1655.jpeg
    909.5 KB · Views: 24
I would not point up because it is causing aeration which will increase your pH. It would be best to go straight horizontal or have 1 horizontal and the other slightly down.
Other than mixing the water, you also want the circulation to help skim but not to the point where you have too much aeration.

Reactions: Panzer
I’m not the expert that others are, but my input would be as follows:

I would point each return towards the end closet to the return away from the skimmer. I would point them horizontal to the surface/floor of pool. I would think normally you’d want them in this position or slightly pointed up to get more surface circulation. But not as pictured for the reason stated by #HermanTX

What you want is the most water circulation and it would seem that would occur by adjusting as above.

my $.02

hope that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.