Difficulty finding pool safe bleach and liquid chlorine

ba67

Oct 17, 2018
Southern Kentucky
I went to every hardware store, superstore and farm store in my town that sells liquid chlorine and everyone is out of it. In previous years, all of the local stores stopped stocking it in September so I doubt that any of our local stores will get more in. Unfortunately, only one local pool store sells liquid chlorine and they charge $5 a gallon for 10 percent chlorine which seems like a ridiculous price to me. I looked at bleach at several stores but all of them had fabric additives in them so I know they aren’t safe to use in pools. Are there any large chains that typically carry 6 percent or greater bleach that is safe to use in pools? Stores that I have in my town include Walmart, Lowe’s, Home Depot, Aldi, Sams Club, Target, Tractor Supply, Ace Hardware, Kroger and Meijer. If anyone has found 6 percent or greater bleach that is safe to use in pools at any of these stores in your town, please post the brand name on here so I can see if my store carries it. I’m desperate because I don’t want to pay $5 a gallon for the pool store chlorine and I can’t use tablets until we close in 4 weeks because CYA is too high.

I can't help you finding the chlorine but I want to correct "safe" and "unsafe".

To my knowledge ALL bleach is "safe", it's just that many, many brands insert additives that may or may not have some side affect in your pool. An example might be excessive foaming......perfectly "safe" but quite undesirable.

If I couldn't find plain bleach, I would use these bleach brands with additives rather than nothing at all.

Reactions: ba67 and Donldson
Home Depot near me has box of 3 jugs for $9.98 (3-1 gallon bottles). Also found 1 gallon jugs at Lowe’s. Both are in the “pool” section. Watch your dates closely...as it is stored outside and that will effect the potency of the chlorine.

One benefit of winter is that whatever liquid chlorine you add to the pool tends to last a long time. The sun has moved lower, temps cooling all make chlorine last weeks for me. I guess $5/gallon isn't so bad after all?

Maddie

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.