Dichlor/Bleach Method - why not add stabilizer to start instead of waiting for Dichlor to dissolve?

Why not add liquid chlorine and a stabilizer and skip the multi-day Dichlor process?
Or why not just add all needed Dichlor at the beginning?
I added HTH stabilizer granules and started with liquid chlorine, because it's what I had. I don't think there's a difference. Only thing is, the amount of granules needed is so tiny that you need a kitchen scale to weigh them correctly. You're not adding by the jug like you would with a pool.

Reactions: mattbk
Why not add liquid chlorine and a stabilizer and skip the multi-day Dichlor process?
As mentioned above, CYA usually comes in 4lb containers and that's way more than you're going to need in a long time. Other than that, there's no reason you couldn't do it.

Or why not just add all needed Dichlor at the beginning?
If you added enough Dichlor all at once you'd raise the FC too high and you'd stand the chance of overshooting the amount. Adding it a little at a time gives you more control over the process.

Reactions: mattbk
Sure, that works great. I think the dichlor method is because it's often easier to get dichlor, and you don't need much. If you don't have a pool, and just have a hot tub, then a small bottle of dichlor lasts a long time. When I got our 290 gallon inflatable spa, I got a 2 lb bottle of dichlor off Amazon for $20. After 4 rounds of opening (to 30 ppm CYA), I have over half that bottle remaining.

If you already have CYA because you own a pool, then may as well skip the dichlor and use straight CYA. As with a pool, you'll want to put it in a sock or similar, and it will take a couple days to dissolve. One of the advantages of dichlor is it almost instantly dissolves.

Since we're setting up our first pool, it's likely that in a year or two when I finally use up the dichlor I have, I'll just use straight CYA since I'll have it on hand for the pool anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.