Diary of a swamp

How to reduce combined chlorine level

Merged threads for history. :wink: Butterfly

I've been shocking for the last 2+ weeks and my overnight tests seemed to have stabilized but my cc has remained at 1-1.5 over the last few days. How can I get rid of the CC's? Does rain affect it any?

Re: How to reduce combined chlorine level

When you say "stabilized" do you mean your loosing 1ppm of FC or less with your overnight test. Those CC's to me indicate algae is present in the water and you need to continue to shock.
I always increase my FC level after a heavy rainfall just to be sure because so much junk gets into the water.

What is your source of chlorine and what test kit are you using to test the water with.

Could you post a full set of numbers for us to look at please ?

Re: How to reduce combined chlorine level

this is why it's a good idea to keep your posts in the same thread.
diary-of-a-swamp-t15087.html
Yes, but I figured people were tired of that thread and had stop paying attention to it.

When you say "stabilized" do you mean your loosing 1ppm of FC or less with your overnight test. Those CC's to me indicate algae is present in the water and you need to continue to shock.
Yes. This was my first "stabilized" reading which was a few days ago.
7/24/09, 10:30pm, FC=14.5 - 7/25/09, 7:00 am, FC=14. CC=1.5

I haven't performed overnight readings since but have been checking CC reading every so often but it remains about the same and I have been maintaining shock levels raising to about 22 although today it dropped to 8.5 but that is the lowest it has been in a couple weeks. Usually it hasn't gone below 15.

CYA=35
PH=Unable to test due to high chlorine levels
TA=80
CA~350

What is your source of chlorine and what test kit are you using to test the water with.
Over the last 2+ weeks mostly bleach, some 73% cal-hypo and a few trichlor pucks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A couple of days ago I checked the filter pressure before work and noticed it was getting up there. I turned it off, put the cleaner back in and switched to high to handle the sweeper and I noticed the filter clean it self out right back into the pool :grrrr: . I left it on high to hopefully recapture some of what I had lost but the next day no real improvement. The rain had brought my water level high so I backwashed was little was left in the filter and vacuumed to waste or so I thought. I kept wandering as I was vacuuming why the level wasn't changing much just to later realize that I had switched it to filter not waste :oops: At least it was somewhat caught but the psi only went up about 3 and the water level was still high but it was too late so I decided to go ahead and add the clarifier my pool guy mentioned I should get and then vacuum the next day. I noticed within a couple hours that the spa was sparkling clear. 24 hours (earlier today) it was crystal clear :party: . I backwashed again to clear things out and vacuumed to waste (for real this time). I'm adding more water and when it reaches a good level I'm going to add DE to filter and bring it up to shock level. I don't think my CC's are cleared so I'm going to wait until tomorrow after things have settled to retest. I tried Vit C on stains and that didn't work.

I skimmed over the posts, fogive if it's been covered.

But have you done a leak test?

The amount of chemical you've put in your pool would have easily cleared any body of water that isn't being diluted.

Krickett said:
I haven't done a leak test but I don't seem to be losing water so I don't see the need.

Do you have an auto-fill that keeps the water and the proper level or do you have to manualy add water to compesate for evaporation? If you have an autofill you wouldn't notice a loss in water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.