Diagnosed Mustard Algea

kschmidt1

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2015
Grandy, NC
Read articles on mustard algea and am ready to start SLAM until pass OCLT then super SLAM for 24 hrs. Need to sweep, above ground 27' vinyl. Do I need to stay out of water while slam or can I sweep from inside? Am battling small leak (unidentified) at same time so am adding well water thru hose occasionally. As soon as water add is done now, will begin SLAM. Do I do sweep before first dosing? pH at 7.2-7.3. Anything I am missing in plan?Thanks in advance.

It sure would be nice to have an accurate CYA. If you tested it recently, it should still be pretty close. You could err on the side of caution is needed and go with the lower anticipated value. If you confirm it higher tomorrow (if it's sunny) then go ahead an increase the FC at that time.

Cloudy water has virtually no affect on the CYA test.....ignore it.

That may not seem intuitive but we have had that discussion several times over the years......it has no affect.

Fine to get in the pool even at Mustard algae levels. Wear cut-offs or something you don't care about in case (very rare) that you get some fading.

Washing machines often have 250 ppm FC with NO CYA. Your pool of around 30 ppm (with some CYA) will be harmless.

Reactions: Blake1989

That may not seem intuitive but we have had that discussion several times over the years......it has no affect.

Fine to get in the pool even at Mustard algae levels. Wear cut-offs or something you don't care about in case (very rare) that you get some fading.

Washing machines often have 250 ppm FC with NO CYA. Your pool of around 30 ppm (with some CYA) will be harmless.

More worried about 'naughty bits' than swim suit :laughblue:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.