Design Comments & Critiques Welcome

usfbull

Gold Supporter
May 11, 2020
Tampa FL
Surface
Plaster
We have 2 designs from different PB's that we like but I'm sure can still be improved upon.

Pool is to be 16 x 28 with a sunshelf that sits outside the 16x28 swim area. It will be a sport pool and thinking one shallow end (one by the shelf) 3.5' and the 6' in the middle and 4' in the other shallow end. The pool and deck will under a screen enclosure. We have some room to push the pool a bit further away from the house to add more deck but that of course increases the cost of pavers and screen.

I welcome any comments on anything you see that could be changed and improved upon!

The first design is 16x28 with a couple of stairs at the end of the sunshelf. The shelf begins a little less than 10' from the house and is 11'9" long and 4'8" wide (is that too narrow?). There is a bench in the deep end (middle of pool) that will be moved to the side across from the house. 504sq ft of pool & 572 sq ft of pavers, screened area is 34' long (width of the house) and 32' wide (away from house).

The second design is 16x30 with stairs running the width of the pool. The sunshelf here measures 10' in length and 6' in width. There is a bench in the deep end (middle of pool). 540 sq ft of pool & 568 sq ft of pavers, screened area is 38' long (width of the house) and 32' wide (away from house). The second design shows deck jets but we will not be adding the deck jets. The only planned water feature is the bubbler in the shelf.

thanks!

Attachments

• pic1.GIF
    pic1.GIF
    308.5 KB · Views: 120
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    574.6 KB · Views: 120
I agree, we like the second one better as well.

Anyone have any thoughts on if the stairs should go all the way across or should there be a gap in the middle for a swim lane? Any other thoughts with the design and seating? Or the deck?

Both are nice and depending on how you want to use the pool. You mention the first was a "sport" pool. Rather than have the bench extend into the pool as shown, it could be moved as a cut out (like your stairs) to match to your sun deck & stairs. This frees up the whole pool for swimming, volleyball, etc.

On the second design with the stairs completely across the side, I think it is best to just have a diamond staircase in the corner. There was another person who showed a split stair case and the feedback was negative because it will not be able to be cleaned very effectively. A pool (for a backyard) normally only needs 1 set of stairs. Huge public or community pools will have multiple access points.

Reactions: usfbull
Both are nice and depending on how you want to use the pool. You mention the first was a "sport" pool. Rather than have the bench extend into the pool as shown, it could be moved as a cut out (like your stairs) to match to your sun deck & stairs. This frees up the whole pool for swimming, volleyball, etc.

On the second design with the stairs completely across the side, I think it is best to just have a diamond staircase in the corner. There was another person who showed a split stair case and the feedback was negative because it will not be able to be cleaned very effectively. A pool (for a backyard) normally only needs 1 set of stairs. Huge public or community pools will have multiple access points.

Thanks, yes both would be sports pools. the bench as a cutout in the first design is an interesting idea. It has to be in the middle as that is the deep end. Maybe it could be on opposite side as the shelf but in the middle as a cut out?

good point on not having a section cutoff on design #2 because of cleaning. Would the stairs then just be off of the sun shelf and leave the majority of that side open? We like the idea of extra seating but not sure what the best way Is to incorporate the seating?

Thanks, yes both would be sports pools. the bench as a cutout in the first design is an interesting idea. It has to be in the middle as that is the deep end. Maybe it could be on opposite side as the shelf but in the middle as a cut out?

good point on not having a section cutoff on design #2 because of cleaning. Would the stairs then just be off of the sun shelf and leave the majority of that side open? We like the idea of extra seating but not sure what the best way Is to incorporate the seating?
A diamond stair closest to the sun shelf will give you access to enter directly from the side or via sun shelf. If you want extra seating, put a "L" bench on the same side of the stairs in that other end (the corner closest to the table & chairs). This then leaves the opposite side (across from the patio/sun deck) of the pool for swim lane, games, etc.
I got these pictures from another post that had similar question as I like the concept.

Attachments

• 9C53A144-8092-43A3-9E39-967FF9003501.jpeg
    9C53A144-8092-43A3-9E39-967FF9003501.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 23
  • CFA039F1-FC7B-47B6-B1A0-976076A2BEB5.jpeg
    CFA039F1-FC7B-47B6-B1A0-976076A2BEB5.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Reactions: usfbull
I found this members pool over the weekend and it seems like what you are describing and what will work for us.

Is this what you were describing with the stairs off the shef?

I found this members pool over the weekend and it seems like what you are describing and what will work for us.

Is this what you were describing with the stairs off the shef?

Yes - that is excellent picture. Glad you found one that shows the full pool view.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A diamond stair closest to the sun shelf will give you access to enter directly from the side or via sun shelf. If you want extra seating, put a "L" bench on the same side of the stairs in that other end (the corner closest to the table & chairs). This then leaves the opposite side (across from the patio/sun deck) of the pool for swim lane, games, etc.
I got these pictures from another post that had similar question as I like the concept.
that was me! lol-I had the same issues, so had saved these photos--I hope they help others as well!

Reactions: HermanTX
We have 2 designs from different PB's that we like but I'm sure can still be improved upon.

You mentioned two different pool designers. When you picked one design over the other, did you have to pay for the other's services?
IE: We decided to go with another pool builder and are cancelling working with the one we have. . . Yet they've done a lot of design work for us. I figured we'd have to pay her for her time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.