Delayed opening this year, let it circulate without the filter?

JamesR

Gold Supporter
May 18, 2015
Nazareth/PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I'm in northeast PA. I usually have the pool open by now so I can get it all cleaned up and balanced by the beginning of May.
This year I will be away for the first 3 weeks of May though and I do not want it to just sit like it is with the winter cover on, stagnant and wait till June to get it up and running. I was thinking of not removing the mesh winter safety cover, hooking up all of the plumbing, adding some liquid chlorine to it and let it circulate (bypassing the filter) for 4-6 hours a day while I am gone. This way it wont be a giant green mess when I do get back home again. I can drain out some of the water since it is high from the winter and spring rains, add some fresh water and use some chlorine pucks in the inline feeder to at least give it some chlorine while I am away. Thoughts on this idea?
Thanks,
James

I hooked mine up this week in Ohio. Not sure why you want to circulate, rather than filter. I'm putting it through the filter to skim the surface. Has worked great, especially when wind pushes dirt etc into the pool...

I don't want to filter it because the filter pressure typically rises 10 psi or more very quickly after I open the pool due to all of the debris in there. Its a mesh safety cover and its usually filthy in there upon opening. If I run the filter and then leave it for 3 weeks it will be clogged within 2 days after I leave.

I don't want to filter it because the filter pressure typically rises 10 psi or more very quickly after I open the pool due to all of the debris in there. Its a mesh safety cover and its usually filthy in there upon opening. If I run the filter and then leave it for 3 weeks it will be clogged within 2 days after I leave.
got it!

Do you think having the chlorine at shock level initially will be bad for the mesh safety cover?
I intend to leave the cover on so that the skimmers do not get clogged with debris while I'm gone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.