Deep Cleaning Side Mount Sand Filter

Ribbod

May 30, 2018
Marietta/ga
My Sand Filter is a side mount... I am wanting to do a deep clean of the sand... Do I need to remove the multiport valve or just turn pump off and take the cover off the top of the filter and access the sand from there? I also have no idea how to remove that piece from the top of the filter.. And Im in the middle of a SLAM.. should I wait until SLAM is over for me to do this? Was hoping doing a deep clean may speed things along toward a clear pool. I've also attached a picture of pool, as of last night.

hayward pro series.jpg F16FB2A3-9C8F-4EE3-B562-DE2360A6C373_1_105_c.jpegF16FB2A3-9C8F-4EE3-B562-DE2360A6C373_1_105_c.jpeg

I think I would complete the SLAM. Either way works but deep cleaning at the same time seems perhaps a little more complicated that I would want. It's your call.

No need to remove the multiport.

The filter top is screwed on just like a jar lid. They make a round "wrench" that will fit over that lid with a couple of arms on it. You should be able to hit those arms with a rubber mallet and get it unscrewed. it will very likely be TIGHT!

Reactions: Ribbod
I think I would complete the SLAM. Either way works but deep cleaning at the same time seems perhaps a little more complicated that I would want. It's your call.

The filter top is screwed on just like a jar lid. They make a round "wrench" that will fit over that lid with a couple of arms on it. You should be able to hit those arms with a rubber mallet and get it unscrewed. it will very likely be TIGHT!

Thank you! I think i will just wait... I really dont want to get myself in over my head, at this point... Im so close to end of SLAM and I'm sure pool will be clear in a few days :)

@duraleigh
Ok- if i attempt this, do I keep the drain plug in or do I remove it? I assume i keep it in, as i want to keep the water in to let it push crud out...

Also- when I'm done, do I set valve back to Filter, or do I need to backwash first?

Reactions: Ribbod
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.