Deep cleaning sand filter with fixed plumbing

Hi all,

I'm planning to deep clean my sand filter prior to opening the pool. I read through everything on this thread and watched the videos but I still have one question: How can I separate the multiport from the filter body if it is attached with fixed PVC pipe? The only piece that isn't glued in is connected to the SWG.

It's a Hayward S244T2. Do I have to remove the clamp and then try to shimmy the 300lb filter body out from under the multiport and plumbing?

IMG_20200520_140555.jpg

You need to cut the pvc and add unions. This will be the time to do it.
Ah, really? Not the answer I was expecting. Also have a pinhole leak on part of the manifold that's going to need work, and the installer said it would be a "pain in the Rear" to fix it (basically, replacing the entire manifold with three different T-junctions.) Haven't had him put that in writing yet. For now some JB Weld and Rescue Tape should do the job.

At this point I may hold off until I have some more serious need for work on the plumbing and then have it all done together. The filter was installed in September 2018 so it's only got about 6 months of total run time on it. I didn't have any specific reason to do the deep clean other than I've got the time!

• Sad
Reactions: Flying Tivo
You need to cut the pvc and add unions. This will be the time to do it.

Yes, that is what I had to do. I asked my pool installer why they didn't install unions. They said they would if the customer asks. Since it was my first pool, I didn't know I needed to ask. I think they do that so they can charge for a service call to put the unions in. I did it myself.

Reactions: Flying Tivo
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.