Deep cleaning my sand filter

mjc123

Jul 20, 2018
Halifax, NS (Canada)
Not a question, more of an observation. This past weekend I decided to deep clean my sand filter using youtube videos (which I see now were included in the stickied post in this forum). Went pretty much the same as others have shown, except the problem I ran into was that there was quite a bit of material that would not overflow - it just seemed to continue swirling in the water column, either floating in it (same density as the water) or must have remained floating just above the surface of the sand, no matter how much agitation I tried. Eventually after what must have been an hour of running the hose, I gave up and began a tedious process of letting the water drain out plug in the bottom, scraping the top layer of sand off, carefully removing it to a bucket where I was then able to clean it properly, and then pouring it back into the filter... Point is, it definitely doesn't seem as easy as the videos would suggest! Anyway, thought I'd share my experience

Not a question, more of an observation. This past weekend I decided to deep clean my sand filter using youtube videos (which I see now were included in the stickied post in this forum). Went pretty much the same as others have shown, except the problem I ran into was that there was quite a bit of material that would not overflow - it just seemed to continue swirling in the water column, either floating in it (same density as the water) or must have remained floating just above the surface of the sand, no matter how much agitation I tried. Eventually after what must have been an hour of running the hose, I gave up and began a tedious process of letting the water drain out plug in the bottom, scraping the top layer of sand off, carefully removing it to a bucket where I was then able to clean it properly, and then pouring it back into the filter... Point is, it definitely doesn't seem as easy as the videos would suggest! Anyway, thought I'd share my experience
I definitely think it has a lot to do with water pressure! The higher your water pressure, the more "stuff" you can agitate out of the sand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.