Deep Cleaning Filter

jessica0917

Silver Supporter
Jun 8, 2014
Central Iowa
I am nearing the end of my baquacil conversion and it was suggested I deep clean my filter to help get to the end of the process. I watched the video on deep cleaning a filter on this site and read several threads, but I am still a little unclear on the precautions to take. Someone mentioned putting duct tape over the standpipe. I just don't want to do something stupid and end up with a mess in the pool that I have spent the last two weeks getting cleared up.

My grandchildren are getting antsy to get back into the pool.

Thank you!

Actually, you'll be replacing the sand. It's not worn out, but you'll never be able to remove all the bacquagoo from it.

The easiest way to empty it is with a shop vacuum. People have had good luck setting the vacuum in a wheelbarrow, vacuum til it's full, then tip it to empty and roll it off to wherever. Repeat as needed.

Then follow the filling instructions in your owner's manual. Covering the standpipe with a plastic cup or duct tape keeps the new sand out of the clean side of the filter while you're pouring the new sand in.

Thank you for the suggestions on the dreadful job of changing out the sand. I never thought about using a wheel barrow to help move the heavy sand filled vacuum around.

I haven't reached the OCLT overnight test yet so it was suggested I try deep cleaning the filter to help meet the test sooner than later. Once I pass that test I will be changing my sand with the help of my wheel barrow!

Thanks again and your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.