Dedicated suction side port question

catsncoffee

Jan 28, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
My suction side vacuum just died so I'm upgrading to a robot. However, my plumbing only has a two way valve, suction side port for vacuum or skimmer, if i switch to skimmer only the pump starts to pull in air bubbles. I see a vortex in the skimmer when i do this and the water level is fine. I did have a clog in my suction side line last week (probably what killed my vacuum) but i got that cleared. There could in theory be some sticks stuck in the skimmer line but i always keep the basket in there. If there's an underground leak I'm not going to do anything about that right now. Can i just leave it at 50/50 and leave the suction side hole open? Or is there some kind of mesh cap I can put on it so it doesn't suck up leaves and debris into the pump?

Do you have a VS pump? If so you can turn the pump down and use only the skimmer... You can also add more water..

The problem with leaving the suction side port open is it can trap someone there if they were to put the hand or body against it... I am trying to figure out something you could make to make it safe but I am coming up blank.. You could connect 1 or 2 sections of hose and connect your non working pool cleaner to it, that would make it safe...

I can also run mine dry at 2500 rpm with only 1 skimmer.. it pulls to much water unless I have it an inch from the top of the skimmer..

I knew there had to be something that would work, hayward safety grate :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.