Deck Ladder recommendation

shadylady23

Jul 18, 2007
Southwest NH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Can someone recommend a deck ladder that doesn’t allow algae to to build up? We originally had a regular ladder but put in a deck. When I pulled the old ladder out, there was so much algae INSIDE it, it was coming out brown! So I need a ladder to go with the new deck, but want something that isn’t going to breed Algae!

Should I just add some more vent holes to my ladder and cut the a frame part off? With the added vent holes maybe more chlorine could get in there? I would love something that water didn’t go inside of at all!

I have this ladder...

You can see it also in my build thread towards the end... I think.

I leave it in all year and have never noticed any algae in it. I did drill some extra holes to help evacuate the air. I have followed the advice here and have never slammed or had algae problems.

It is a great ladder, very happy with it. Sturdy and does not float.

My experience has been that if there is sand in the ladder/steps water is going to fill there and the sand will collect algae over time. I capped off my drain holes in it and filled some 2" pvc with concrete and capped it. I then tied them to the steps and it's plenty of weight to keep them in place. This has eliminated any algae growth since. Also keeping the pool balanced helps with it tremendously

I have this ladder...

You can see it also in my build thread towards the end... I think.

I leave it in all year and have never noticed any algae in it. I did drill some extra holes to help evacuate the air. I have followed the advice here and have never slammed or had algae problems.

It is a great ladder, very happy with it. Sturdy and does not float.

Does this ladder allow water inside?

Does anyone know if they make a flip up ladder? As in when not in use we can flip the ladder up? That would likely help prevent Algae as well in addition to a ladder that didn’t fill with water.

I have the confer curve step with add-on section. I weighed it down with some jugs filled with rocks and we drilled extra holes in it to let water flow in. I did not want to do sand because I have heard of it collecting algae. Love these steps so far. 105075

Reactions: shadylady23
Thanks for your input guys! So it sounds like no matter what I get, adding more holes should help with this stagnant water/algae inside the ladder problem. On a good note, just got my refill bottles today for my test kit and excited to get my water lovely again for the season! ?. I’m in the bluish stage, but still kinda cloudy. Running my Duda bag to hopefully clear it up quicker!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.