Deck coping

sandyb

Apr 18, 2015
Granada Hills, Ca
Not sure if I am using the proper term, “deck coping”
My in ground 30,000 gal swimming pool was installed 19 years ago, and when it was installed, they used a gray material to seal between the brick around the the edge of the pool and the concrete deck.
That material has hardened and is degrading ( coming out in chunks )
What is the best / proper / suggested material to replace with.
Thanks for any suggestions
Sandy

Attachments

• F4B5CB55-98E2-4AD6-B7B5-03D5CDD96A5B.jpeg
    F4B5CB55-98E2-4AD6-B7B5-03D5CDD96A5B.jpeg
    567.4 KB · Views: 18
The brick is the pool coping and the concrete is the pool deck. In between those is an expansion joint. First goes in foam backer rod leaving about 3/8"-1/2" of depth. Then use a self-leveling polyurethane caulk. Most popular brands are Sikaflex and deck-o-seal. Using some masking tape on each side will help with cleanup.

I'm about to attempt to replace the mastic around my pool myself. I went to Youtube University last year when I decided it had to be done. I hate to say this because it might come back and bite me. It doesn't look all that difficult to do. Why it's so expensive to have done I don't understand. My question, for now, is deck o seal the benchmark of pool mastic still? There is one part and a two-part version I think. One part seems like it would be the simplest to use. I haven't checked but is there a cost advantage for the two-part? I would appreciate any words of wisdom offered. I wonder if buying it online is that much of a cost saving. It seems that your total buy of materials would be hard to hit first try. Would it make sense to calculate what you need then buy 10% less online then finish off buying from Home Depot?

If there is another mastic that is more beginner friendly anyone knows of please tell me.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.