Deck coping

sandyb

Apr 18, 2015
Granada Hills, Ca
Not sure if I am using the proper term, “deck coping”
My in ground 30,000 gal swimming pool was installed 19 years ago, and when it was installed, they used a gray material to seal between the brick around the the edge of the pool and the concrete deck.
That material has hardened and is degrading ( coming out in chunks )
What is the best / proper / suggested material to replace with.
Thanks for any suggestions
Sandy

Attachments

pooldv

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 10, 2012
FL panhandle
The brick is the pool coping and the concrete is the pool deck. In between those is an expansion joint. First goes in foam backer rod leaving about 3/8"-1/2" of depth. Then use a self-leveling polyurethane caulk. Most popular brands are Sikaflex and deck-o-seal. Using some masking tape on each side will help with cleanup.

Fort Worth

May 26, 2016
Fort Worth, TX
I'm about to attempt to replace the mastic around my pool myself. I went to Youtube University last year when I decided it had to be done. I hate to say this because it might come back and bite me. It doesn't look all that difficult to do. Why it's so expensive to have done I don't understand. My question, for now, is deck o seal the benchmark of pool mastic still? There is one part and a two-part version I think. One part seems like it would be the simplest to use. I haven't checked but is there a cost advantage for the two-part? I would appreciate any words of wisdom offered. I wonder if buying it online is that much of a cost saving. It seems that your total buy of materials would be hard to hit first try. Would it make sense to calculate what you need then buy 10% less online then finish off buying from Home Depot?

If there is another mastic that is more beginner friendly anyone knows of please tell me.

Thanks