Debris coming out of jets after I vacuum to waste.

NathanV

Aug 1, 2020
Gastonia, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey guys. This is my first post so bear with me. I have had an issue with yellow algae the past week or so and I believe I have finally got it under control (fingers crossed). Tonight I went and vacuumed to waste the (I'm assuming dead algae) algae that was left on the bottom of the pool. It looked white (it was originally dark yellow). Anyway. After I vacuumed what I could get through the first pass I turned the filter off so I could fill the pool back up with water. I then put the filter back on filter and I got a bunch of 'white debris' that came back through my jets. Am I doing something wrong here or is there something wrong with my system? My filter is a Hayward sand filter (500lb) My sand is full because I just topped it off 3 weeks ago. Thanks for the help.

Not much you can do wrong if you're vacuuming to WASTE. Everything bypasses the filter at the multiport valve. Are you still following the SLAM Process to kill all remaining algae properly? That would be key as well as I suspect your sand may be inundated with dead algae. When is the last time you did a backwash and thorough rinse cycle?

Also, do you still only have the K-2005 test kit? If so, make sure to obtain the FAS-DPD for accurate FC testing required to maintain the proper "SLAM" level. Let us know if you have any other questions.

I just finished with my last shock treatment last night. I basically put 15lbs of shock in the pool every 12 hours over 36 hours. I used Yellow out with it. I'm new here and just finding the methods and charts you guys use. I do still have the K-2005 test kit. I ordered the FAS-DPD test kit today and it's supposed to be here this Thursday (8/6). I did a backwash before I treated the pool just so that the filter would be somewhat clear for filtering during the treatment.

Nathan

Hey guys. This is my first post so bear with me. I have had an issue with yellow algae the past week or so and I believe I have finally got it under control (fingers crossed). Tonight I went and vacuumed to waste the (I'm assuming dead algae) algae that was left on the bottom of the pool. It looked white (it was originally dark yellow). Anyway. After I vacuumed what I could get through the first pass I turned the filter off so I could fill the pool back up with water. I then put the filter back on filter and I got a bunch of 'white debris' that came back through my jets. Am I doing something wrong here or is there something wrong with my system? My filter is a Hayward sand filter (500lb) My sand is full because I just topped it off 3 weeks ago. Thanks for the help.
When you are done vacuuming junk, are you allowing clean pool water to clear out the hose and pipe up through the valve?

When you are done vacuuming junk, are you allowing clean pool water to clear out the hose and pipe up through the valve?
I don't know that I did last night. I backwashed this morning and got very white milky looking water that came out of the filter. I rinsed and backwashed twice just to make sure I could get everything out. When I turned the filter back on the water that came out of the returns was clear.

Thanks for the suggestions!

it really shouldn't matter since whatever is in the line after vacuuming will be filtered.. it is not the same as when you backwash, if you dont rinse after backwash, you will see junk coming out of the return jets.

Hello all. I believe I know what was happening with the pool jets. After vacuuming to waste I wasn't rinsing (DOH!). Oh well. Live and learn.

I got my FAS/DPD test kit in and tested the water.

FC = 10.5
CC = 0.5
PH = 7.8 (I believe this is due to me vacuuming to waste and refilling the pool...we're on a well)
CYA = 50
CH = 195

As I said before, I've been dealing with Mustard algae. The water is clearer now so I can see the bottom but am still getting algae on the floor every day (the water is still a little cloudy though). I'm assuming since my CC is 0.5 I may still have a problem? I'll do the OCLT test tonight to confirm.

Unfortunately, since I didn't have the FAS/DPD test kit through the slamming process I don't know what the FC ended up being :(

Last edited:
Now that you have the FAS-DPD, you can first lower the pH to 7.2, then increase the FC to "20" (SLAM level) so you can actually perform the SLAM Process. The FC of 20 is required for a CYA of 50 as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. Follow the SLAM Process and don't bother with the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test until the water is crystal clear. Good luck!

Now that you have the FAS-DPD, you can first lower the pH to 7.2, then increase the FC to "20" (SLAM level) so you can actually perform the SLAM Process. The FC of 20 is required for a CYA of 50 as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. Follow the SLAM Process and don't bother with the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test until the water is crystal clear. Good luck!

I don't have any liquid chlorine. Can I use the granular to shock? I know this forum is big on liquid. Just wanted to check first so there's no waste on my end. - Nathan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nathan, the problem with the powdered products is it will add stabilizer (CYA) if its trichlor or dichlor. If it's cal-hypo it will add calcium. But generally liquid chlorine or regular bleach is the most efficient for dosing and no side effects.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.