Debating on Robot models, do I need waterline cleaning for an above ground pool?

Yeah initially I was going to get the E20 or the CC on Amazon but thought to check with Marina first since many people here swear by them and that there prices are really unbeatable. The prowler 920 by pentair looks like a maytronics/dolphin clone and at the price point doesn't seem too bad but for $779 for the EVO 604 and it feature set seems really good, I just don't know much about this Aquabot brand even though they do have a service center about 20 min from me. analysis paralysis for me it seems.
Aquabots used the be pretty common & robust machines- they fell out of favor as the more sophisticated dolphins rose to the top but it looks like they’re making a comeback! That said the evo 604 is made by Aqua products (a Fluidra brand).
Doheny sells a couple aquabot flavors- a few people here have found them other places on sale
Here’s a good thread

Looks like @Jimrahbe just got one of those evo’s check out his thread

Reading a lot of posts about robots and thinking of getting one. Couple things I didn't see input on related to our pool setup.

We have a clover shaped 13000 gallon play pool with pebbletec vs plaster. We also have water line tile on part of the pool(where there is decking) but natural rocks on other parts (where there is flower bed behind). Was initially thinking water line but realize that the rocks woudl defeat that rather quickly. But a different question is if the bot is climbing the walls and hits the rock, what happens then?

We also have a builtin bench under a waterfall and a sunledge with a couple stairs

Reading a lot of posts about robots and thinking of getting one. Couple things I didn't see input on related to our pool setup.

We have a clover shaped 13000 gallon play pool with pebbletec vs plaster. We also have water line tile on part of the pool(where there is decking) but natural rocks on other parts (where there is flower bed behind). Was initially thinking water line but realize that the rocks woudl defeat that rather quickly. But a different question is if the bot is climbing the walls and hits the rock, what happens then?

We also have a builtin bench under a waterfall and a sunledge with a couple stairs
When the bot encounters obstacles it can’t overcome it will usually just go the other direction. It will also only go so high above the waterline which is likely short of the rocks. I have an above ground pool that has a top rail. My bot never really touches the top rail even though it scrubs up & down for a minute at the waterline (which is just considered part of the wall cleaning feature. The “waterline cleaning” feature is when the bot then moves horizontally along the waterline/tile line.
If the bench isn’t solid (has legs) the cord may get wrapped around it.
Most bots don’t generally go up stairs in any real dependable way so you would still need to sweep those with the brush & likely the sun ledge depending on its depth.
If you have a brick & mortar dealer near you that you could do a trial with one before you buy that may be the best idea.
Another option is to see if anyone you know has one you can borrow to try out. Since your pool has some “intricacies”.

I had an AquaBot but hated the bag - so awkward and difficult to empty out. I replaced with the Dolphin E10 with the extra fine basket and it is so easy to empty!

Didn‘t care about waterline cleaning.

Reactions: Mdragger88
When the bot encounters obstacles it can’t overcome it will usually just go the other direction. It will also only go so high above the waterline which is likely short of the rocks. I have an above ground pool that has a top rail. My bot never really touches the top rail even though it scrubs up & down for a minute at the waterline (which is just considered part of the wall cleaning feature. The “waterline cleaning” feature is when the bot then moves horizontally along the waterline/tile line.
If the bench isn’t solid (has legs) the cord may get wrapped around it.
Most bots don’t generally go up stairs in any real dependable way so you would still need to sweep those with the brush & likely the sun ledge depending on its depth.
If you have a brick & mortar dealer near you that you could do a trial with one before you buy that may be the best idea.
Another option is to see if anyone you know has one you can borrow to try out. Since your pool has some “intricacies”.
Thanks. On our pool, the rocks are in the waterline (i.e the bottom of the rocks are submerged). So seems like waterline cleaning woudl help where there is tile, but no way it would work at all on the rocks.

The "bench" is a ledge bult into the pool similar to a big step you can sit on.

You'll most likely be fine. Robots are pretty good at getting around obstacles. I have a rock waterfall where the rocks dip into the waterline. The robot just bounces off the bottom of the rocks. My robot has 3 modes as well. Bottom only, waterline only and bottom & waterline.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.