Dear Electricians....

Oct 7, 2014
Braintree, MA
Hi guys, i'm trying to find a new pump but a bit clueless on some of the electrical stuff.

My current pump for my above ground pool is a 2HP Hi-Flo --- 115 Volts, 13.8/3.8 Amps.

My current outlet shows 20 Amp, 125 Volts.

I think i can move to a 1.5 HP Pump as my pool is only about 10-11K gallons.

Questions:

1. Is there anything i need to know about a new pump to make sure it works on my current outlet? Just something with top speed below 20 amp?

2. Current pump has a L5-20R Twist Lock. Finding that a lot of newer models are L5-30R. Should i just buy a new model and cut off the cord and install a new twist lock? Is that a tough job? I mean i can change out a light switch.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

You need to look at the breaker/fuse that supplies the receptacle for the pump to see what the amp rating is. The numbers you gave sound like the max ratings of the recept. Once you find out what the rating of the circuit is then you can find a pump that will work on it. Since you have a L5-20 on the cord suggests to me that the circuit is rated for 20 amps. It could be wired wrong though. The L5-30 needs to plug into a 30 amp circuit and it can not be used on a lower amp rating circuit.

thanks danpik. Took a look at my fuse box and didn't see anything labeled for the pool. Ugh.

I was going to purchase this pump

1.5 hp 2-Speed 3450/1725 RPM, 115V Above Ground Pool Pump - Waterway # PH2150-6

and replace the standard plug with an l5-20 twist lock. It's same voltage (115v) and lower amperage. Safe to assume that this would be ok? Or something I might be missing?

The spec sheet you linked lists that pump as 11 A max and has a 3-prong standard cord. Your old twist-loc receptacle is rated for 20A max so you have no conflict. The breaker for that circuit should be 20A in your panel my only concern would be the cord on new motor/pump. More than likely it is not rated for 20A which is the max for the circuit.

The proper way to do this is to change the twist-loc receptacle and the breaker to be a 15a flavor and install the mating twist loc plug on your new pump.

However you do not need at twist loc there so why not just down grade the breaker to 15A and change the receptacle to a standard single outlet rated for 15A.

thanks danpik. Took a look at my fuse box and didn't see anything labeled for the pool. Ugh.
Sounds like a good Sat afternoon project to get that panel labeled. Your pool circuit should be GFCI protected with either a breaker or receptacle.

I was going to purchase this pump

1.5 hp 2-Speed 3450/1725 RPM, 115V Above Ground Pool Pump - Waterway # PH2150-6

and replace the standard plug with an l5-20 twist lock. It's same voltage (115v) and lower amperage. Safe to assume that this would be ok? Or something I might be missing?
As JoeGolan mentioned, the specs show 11 amp draw so you can take the plug off of the old pump cord and put it on the new one and you are good to go

The spec sheet you linked lists that pump as 11 A max and has a 3-prong standard cord. Your old twist-loc receptacle is rated for 20A max so you have no conflict. The breaker for that circuit should be 20A in your panel my only concern would be the cord on new motor/pump. More than likely it is not rated for 20A which is the max for the circuit.

The proper way to do this is to change the twist-loc receptacle and the breaker to be a 15a flavor and install the mating twist loc plug on your new pump.

However you do not need at twist loc there so why not just down grade the breaker to 15A and change the receptacle to a standard single outlet rated for 15A.

Thanks. So I guess if I understand this right the cord for pump has to have the same rating (20a) as my receptacle? Would it easier for me to find a pump with a cord that is rated for 20a? Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks. So I guess if I understand this right the cord for pump has to have the same rating (20a) as my receptacle? Would it easier for me to find a pump with a cord that is rated for 20a? Is there an easy way to do this?

No, the 20 amp breaker (or 15 if that is the case) is there to protect the wiring up to the outlet only. If the appliance cord needed to be rated for the circuit then the all of the appliances in your house would have heavier cords on them as well. The cord on the appliance only needs to be rated for the current draw of the appliance.

No, the 20 amp breaker (or 15 if that is the case) is there to protect the wiring up to the outlet only. If the appliance cord needed to be rated for the circuit then the all of the appliances in your house would have heavier cords on them as well. The cord on the appliance only needs to be rated for the current draw of the appliance.

ok thanks danpik you guys are giving me some good electrical lessons!

so you mentioned that I can just swap out a new plug on the new pump and I should be good to go. But joegolan mentioned that the new pump is probably not rated for 20A and I need to change the receptacles and the breaker. IS he just assuming that the cord for the new pump is rated higher than 20amp? That's the part that is confusing to me.

- - - Updated - - -

If you like the Waterway pump, just get it and change the power cord form the old pump to the new one. The change will be easy.

I guess this might be a good option. Any safety issues in putting a different cord on a pump like that? Should the wiring be the same as on the old pump?

The rating for the cord doesn't matter as long as it is up to the rating of the motor. Think about plugging you phone into a wall outlet, is that cord rated for 20 amps...

Easiest option is to pull plug off old motor and install on new. Take pictures of both before you remove them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The rating for the cord doesn't matter as long as it is up to the rating of the motor. Think about plugging you phone into a wall outlet, is that cord rated for 20 amps...

Easiest option is to pull plug off old motor and install on new. Take pictures of both before you remove them.

Awesome great analogy! Curious is buying a twist lock adapter completely out of the question?

Afton has some good advice here ^^^^^. Use the old cord and plug or get a new cord and put the plug on the end. The cord only has to be rated to handle the Amp draw of the motor. Remember, Amps are pulled and voltage is pushed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.