DE replacement usually leads to DE in pool

run53

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2010
Not sure why this is happening. I only change my DE once...... about mid way through the season. My process is quite simple.
1) drain filter and then plug inlet with rag (my water level is higher than filter inlet)
2) remove cartridge and spray it down inside and out
3) put cartridge back in and put filter back together
4) bleed air from filter as pump runs.
5) add 12 scoops DE to nearest skimmer

Every year, I do this once and I always see DE at the pool bottom. I brush/vacuum and is goes away after a few days. But how is the DE getting back into the pool? I assume my cartridge is ok since the problem goes away after a few days. Any thoughts?

I know this reply is a bit late, but since no one has chimed-in, I figured .... why not? :) So if the grids are ruled-out, then I would think either of the following:
1 - The filter was slightly over-charged
2 - Some DE settling backwards (but then it would do that all the time) - so I doubt
3 - Perhaps an initial load process; some minor amounts of newly-charged DE haven't yet been able to fully saturate/attach before getting blown-out. Afterwards, the DE remaining is better saturated and remains in-place at each start-up.

That's my rocket-science nuggets of knowledge. :) In any case, maybe something from this tutorial will help as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.