Silver Supporter
Feb 1, 2015
The Woodlands TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So, here I was thinking I was ahead of the game by cleaning my DE filter ahead of the big 4th of July party. I watch a few youtube videos to remind myself how to do this (my first disassemble and clean was last October), and off I go. It seemed easier than the first time, and less built up DE as well. Somehow, I put the unit back together incorrectly, as the pool quickly clouded up with DE. I took the filter back apart and reassembled it. I THINK I have it together correctly this time. It is had to tell as the pool is still full of DE that dusts up whenever the water moves around.

Questions...

1) Currently, I turn off the pump, let the DE settle in the pool, and then turn on the pump and vacuum. This of course churns up DE. After I vacuum, I turn off the pump again. I run my Dolphin since it is automatic and does pick up a lot of DE. Every little bit helps, right? Is there anything better I can do to get the DE out of the pool?

2) I backwashed the filter to get the vacuumed DE out of the filter. Good idea or not?

3) While backwashing, I noticed another filter that has DE in it. Every time I switch from backwash to rinse, the DE in this filter dusts up? What is this filter, and how do I clean it out?
20180624_175406.jpg20180624_175426 1.jpg

Thanks for any suggestions to fixing this horrible situation.

The DE in the pool should get trapped in the filter. Keep vacuuming and keep the filter running.

The vacuumed up DE ends up in the exact same place the DE that you put in your skimmer ends up. The filter. No need to backwash unless you think you have too much DE in the filter. you should be able to get all of the DE out of your pool in 3 or 4 days.

I am not sure what the other filter is, but is should just screw off.

Thank you for the nod that I am at least moving in the right direction. I thought that vacuuming DE back into the filter should be fine as well, but some article that I found while googling suggested otherwise. Not sure why it said that.

Oh well, back to vacuuming!

Thought I would give an update for those who may read this thread in the future...

So,the overarching problem was DE getting into the pool. I took the filter grid and manifold to pool store for them to look at. They saw no tears and no cracks in the manifold. I looked and did not see any either. However, since the DE problem continued, I ordered a new set. When I installed the new grids and manifold, the problem continued. So, I next inspected the downpipe onthe side of the filter for cracks. Did not find any. Next, I replaced the gasket between standpipe and manifold, and lubed it well. Still did not cure my problem.

Meanwhile, I ran my Nautilus Dolphin cleaner numerous times to get DE off bottom of pool. I used the skimmer vacuum hose to clean the steps and spa. I did this a couple of times a day as I continued to work on the equipment. It eventually picks up almost all of the DE.

Back to the equipment. Since most of the filter parts have been replaced, I started looking elsewhere for the problem. I unscrewed the lids to some valves and inspected the inner workings. These appeared to be alright, but because I saw the inside of one of the return valves, it convinced me to turn the valve 180 degrees. This allowed the valve to closed tighter, using water pressure to hold it against the valve opening. I also found out what the filter pictured above goes to. It is for the Polaris return. The filter had collapsed, so I replaced it. I also replaced the gasket.

At this point, everything had been inspected and replaced except for the multiport valve. I opened it up. The spider gasket was intact. It was a bit rough on top, but did not look too bad. The pool store consultant recommended replacing it anyway. I agreed, since nothing else had cured the DE problem. I pulled out the old gasket, cleaned the gasket groove, put pea-sized drops of silicone glue at each T-intersection, and put the new gasket in place. I let it cure for one hour, and lubed the top of the spider gasket, then replaced the top of the valve. At this point, every gasket has been replaced and lubed.

The moment of truth. I put one cup of DE in the skimmer. Nothing. I added a second cup. Still nothing. After the third cup I exhaled. The long DE nightmare was over. I stopped adding DE at 5 pounds (mine takes 6).

So, here is what you do with DE in the pool...

1. Check grids for tears or broken grids. Replace as necessary. Check manifold for cracks. Check downpipe for cracks. Replace the gasket at the first sign of flattening or wear. Lube it.

2. I recommend looking at the multiport valve next. Replace spider gasket at first signs of wear. Lube it.

3. Add DE to skimmer slowly. Allow one cup to get into the filter before adding the next. AND, weigh the DE in your cup so that you know exactly how much is going in. You don't want to overdo the DE.

I hope this helps someone fix their problem quicker than mine did. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.