DE Filter Replacement

Jul 25, 2015
Alachua, FL
I purchased a Hayward EC40C92S Perflex pump/filter system when we first bought our AGP nearly eight years ago. I’ve read that the DE filters do not last indefinitely. But I have never really seen anything regarding the average longevity. How frequently, on average, do people replace the filter element itself? When the pool was new, it seemed like I had to replace the DE only once a month or so. Nowadays, it seems like I am having to do it every couple of weeks. I feel like the thing loads up more rapidly, also, and requires more frequent bumping. Perhaps it is just my imagination. It may also have to do with the fact that this time of year, my pool is coming out of winter hibernation (I do not winterize it – but I do let it get rather green in winter). So perhaps it needs more frequent maintenance because the pool has more stuff in it. After eight years, should I be considering the purchase of a new filter?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you take care of the filter grids, they will last a long time. My original set lasted over 12 years. You should backwash your DE filter at least quarterly and completely disassemble if for a thoroughly cleaning at least annually. Normally a grid may get a tear but you only need to replace that single grid, not all of them.

I think since you are letting algae form, you are clogging up the grids and they may need more attention to completely clean them once your pool is back to being clear. I don’t think if you had a cartridge filter or keep the DE filter, you would have similar issues as you need to keep the water clean because once you clog it with algae it needs cleaning.

If you take care of the filter grids, they will last a long time. My original set lasted over 12 years. You should backwash your DE filter at least quarterly and completely disassemble if for a thoroughly cleaning at least annually. Normally a grid may get a tear but you only need to replace that single grid, not all of them.

I think since you are letting algae form, you are clogging up the grids and they may need more attention to completely clean them once your pool is back to being clear. I don’t think if you had a cartridge filter or keep the DE filter, you would have similar issues as you need to keep the water clean because once you clog it with algae it needs cleaning.
Thanks, Herman! I've got the water looking good now and it seems to be chugging along at full pressure. I read somewhere (this forum?) a suggestion to slightly reduce the amount of DE to add when replacing it. So when I did my replacement Sunday evening, I used only about 3-1/2 pounds instead of the full four pounds. Thanks again - you saved me several hundred dollars.

a suggestion to slightly reduce the amount of DE to add when replacing it. So when I did my replacement Sunday evening, I used only about 3-1/2 pounds instead of the full four pounds. Thanks again - you saved me several hundred dollars.
Great. Filtering does take 24-48 hrs to remove floating debris, algae, etc,
After a thorough cleaning you should put in the full amount of DE to coat the grids.
After a backwash, it is best to use about 70-80% because you never remove 100% of the DE when you backwash.
If you had lots of algae, then it is best to do a complete cleaning to remove it all - even if it is not time for your annual cleaning.

We are all volunteers however, the website continually needs to be updated to provide a fresh and friendly environment for all the users. TFP is a registered non-profit. Please consider a donation Become a TFP Supporter for the value you receive. Many thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.