DE Filter Backwash/Waste Line Connection Options

PoolFLPool

Apr 25, 2022
USA
Hi,

I have an older model Hayward DE Filter with those grids inside 60sq. Obviously when the multiport is set to backwash or waste line, water is sent out the waste line where normally I connect a hose first. Should I at all times have a hose connected to the waste line or is it ok just to have it there when I am backwashing or draining some pool water. In other words, can the multiport suddenly fail where water suddenly comes out of the waste line when it is set to another setting like filer or circulate ? The equipment pad is close to the basement window and I would not want water coming in should something fail. Thank you.

I suppose anything is possible. Never say never right? Could a multiport valve fail catastrophically while turning it to another position? - I suppose so. Not something I see happen here to much on the forum. Most commonly the spider gasket or key diverter in a multiport valve fails gradually or gets pinched resulting in a slow leak out of the waste port unintentionally. But in a freak incident, with a worn/broken spring, or the failure of plastic parts inside, I suppose anything could happen. If I had a filter in a basement or close quarters to the house/shed, I would opt to keep my waste line connected at all times if possible.

I suppose anything is possible. Never say never right? Could a multiport valve fail catastrophically while turning it to another position? - I suppose so. Not something I see happen here to much on the forum. Most commonly the spider gasket or key diverter in a multiport valve fails gradually or gets pinched resulting in a slow leak out of the waste port unintentionally. But in a freak incident, with a worn/broken spring, or the failure of plastic parts inside, I suppose anything could happen. If I had a filter in a basement or close quarters to the house/shed, I would opt to keep my waste line connected at all times if possible.
Thank you !!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.