Damp Soil Near Pool Equipment

Once I really dug the hole out, and the leak was more exposed (but not fully exposed), that's when I saw the water meter move a little, stop, move a little, stop for over a minute, start slowly moving again.

The leak appeared to have a similar look to the below example.

That picture of the copper pipe looks more like a bad or voided solder braze rather than a physical crack. If you don’t properly clean a copper surface and use a good quality flux during the brazing process, oxide smut on the surface of the pipe will interfere with the solder bonding process and lead to a voided or insufficient fill. Or if you don’t run the torch and solder around the whole joint, it will have voids.

Something similar can happen with PVC gluing. If the pipe wasn’t properly cleaned and primed (purple stuff) and if the cement wasn’t applied all around both the pipe and fitting, then you can get a void or crack in the seal. This is why it’s imperative to glue the fitting on and give it a 1/4 turn while forcefully holding it in place as the glue sets. I was always taught to slowly sing Happy Birthday twice through when holding a new PVC glue joint in place. That way the glue has time to dissolve the PVC a bit and then set back into place. If a person slacks when making glue joints, they can be very poor quality and not hold.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.