Damp DPD powder

brunoforestier

Bronze Supporter
Apr 19, 2020
Denver CO
Today, I accidentally scooped DPD powder using a non-dry dipper spoon. Is the DPD powder rendered useless at this point, or can I try and save it by leaving it exposed to dry air for some time? Yes, I will need to make sure it's out of reach to kids/pets.

I just opened my new kit tonight and the paperwork said it happens, and has no ill effect to their knowledge. It went on to say that some folks put mini silica packs in the tub to keep the moisture out but it was for ease of use only.

Moisture will darken and eventually clump up the powder but it will still work. If it starts to clump, simply crush up the clumps with a DRY utensil (perhaps the scoop that comes with it) and continue to use it.

The powder usually starts out very, very light gray, sometimes almost white. Keep it as dry (stored in a climate controlled environment) as possible.

Over time, it will continue to darken and clump but, again, it will still work. You are looking for this.......if it turns chlorinated water pink, it is still good.

In time, it will clump badly enough you will be tired of messing with it and order a new refill but, controlled as carefully as possible, it should last in excess of a year or so.

If my sample turns pink after a single scoop, does it need a second scoop?
No, you just need enough to get the sample to turn pink. If you know you put in a lot of chlorine recently (like to hit 20ppm or more) and one scoop doesn't turn the sample pink you can add one more scoop. If it still doesn't turn pink then you have no chlorine and you need to look into why it was used up so quickly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.