Daily loss of chlorine

During the weekend we got 2 beautiful days. Really hot hot hot and full sun.
We used the pool a lot. I have a pool cover but I left the cover off for the weekend.

By doing tests this weekend, I noticed that I lost 4ppm of FC each day. That requires me to use a lot of liquid chlorine at each night to replace the lost FC.
Usually on week days, the cover is always on. The pool is covered during the day and we remove the cover to swim at the end of the day. On these days, the loss of FC is low.
Is a loss of 4ppm OK and considered as normal for a full sunny day without cover?

That brings me a second question. In August, I will be away for a week. I plan to raise the FC to shock level and to put some trichlor pucks in my chlorinator. To avoid loosing all the FC too fast, is it OK to keep the pool with the cover on for a full week? Will this cause an issue? Is it an invitation for algae?

Also, a quick question about chlorine addition. If I put liquid chlorine, how long should I wait before restesting to confirm that the addition match what was calculated by Poolmath?

Hot day, lots of swimmers......4 ppm is pretty close to normal

is it OK to keep the pool with the cover on for a full week? Will this cause an issue?
Will the pump be running?

Usually, most chemistry is distributed evenly in about 30 minutes.....one hour would guarantee it.

With the pump running, I would suggest raising FC to SLAM value but skip the pucks, You should have enough chlorine to last at least a week with a cover on the pool.....pucks seem unnecessary and another thing to go wrong when your pool is unattended.

On your return, uncover your pool VERY first thing and let it breathe. Pools don't like to be covered up for a long time and a week is a long time in the middle of summer

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.