Cyanuric acid test periods

danman

Sep 5, 2016
Spring, Tx
How often does everyone check their Cyanuric acid level? I got a new kit, tested my level.. found it low, raised it, tested again.. then we had a lot of rain a while back, tested the level it was low again, raised it and tested it again. now I'm out of reagent and was ordering some more. But that stuff is kinda pricey.. anyhow I'm curious at the frequency I should be testing my CYA. Is it a quarterly test? Once a month? Twice a year?

I tend ot check it infrequently, unless there is a huge water exchange. We had a wet spring and I was pumping out water weekly so I had to check it a little more often.

TFP is all about understanding your pool. Testing and observation will tell you if your chlorine demand has increased. If it has and there is no reason (pool parties ect.) tehn time ot look at an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test or CYA to see where the chlorine is going.

As an example, we just got a new German Shepherd Dog. Our previous GSD loved to swim in lakes and streams, but avoided the pool. The new guy loves the pool and is swimming every day. My chlorine demand is up.....

Yeah, those Taylor test kits are kind of skimpy on CYA reagent. I prefer the TF-100 as that is one they increased reagents for tests you do most.

If you've done any draining and refilling you should probably toss one out every month, I tend to do them perhaps every other month. And of course if you're having chlorine problems you should run a complete set of *everything* as often as needed.

Maddie :flower:

I have constant problems with my SWG and it's a long story. So I've been watching the last few days and the chlorine levels are always really low. so I have to raise it, with liquid chlorine. My console started beeping a couple days ago and now I have another error code stating bad power cord or salt cell. So far I've replaced the tri flow sensor, and backboard. the cell is 4 years old and I like the idea of salt, but I'm not married to it. So I'm thinking of cutting in a chlorinator. But I also know the CYA level varies between salt and regular chlorine(pucks). Anyhow, that's not this topic. Thanks for the quick replies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.