Yes cya 40 is what i added and bleach 8.25% at 5 ppm. 2ppm loss @ 8.25% bleach is 16 oz for me. Starting there and if that isn't enough move up to 3ppm?
Borax is not a sold block.

16x48 intex ultra with intex sand filter 2800

You need a FAS/DPD test if you want to get down to exact chlorine numbers. I haven't broken my FAS/DPD test out this year, I only use the yellow drop test. Technically the exact chlorine level isn't that critical. You need to stay above 3 as a minimum and below shock level, 16, is considered safe to swim. That gives you a pretty big safe range.

We have similar setups, here's what works for me.

Typically you measure in the evening prior to adding chlorine. If mine is in the 5-10 range yellow or close to it, I add 2ppm. If mine is in the 3-6 range yellow, I add 3ppm. Mine has not been above or below those levels, if it was I'd adjust accordingly. I typically don't retest after I add chlorine, until the next evening. That's because I've gotten to know how my pool acts, and I'm confident in what's going on with it. Being new you may want to test more to get a good feeling for what's going on. Eventually you'll get to where you comfortable with once a day, and perhaps an extra test here or there if you have an unusual load or situation.

Thanks! I added enough to get to 5-10 cl this morning. I added 2 ppm this evening. Im gonna test in am and evening tomorrow. I think that will give me a good idea. I have a 5 and 8 yr old and im stay at home mom so we will probably be in pool daily. You all have been so helpful! Thanks again

You need a FAS/DPD test if you want to get down to exact chlorine numbers. I haven't broken my FAS/DPD test out this year, I only use the yellow drop test. Technically the exact chlorine level isn't that critical. You need to stay above 3 as a minimum and below shock level, 16, is considered safe to swim. That gives you a pretty big safe range.

We have similar setups, here's what works for me.

Typically you measure in the evening prior to adding chlorine. If mine is in the 5-10 range yellow or close to it, I add 2ppm. If mine is in the 3-6 range yellow, I add 3ppm. Mine has not been above or below those levels, if it was I'd adjust accordingly. I typically don't retest after I add chlorine, until the next evening. That's because I've gotten to know how my pool acts, and I'm confident in what's going on with it. Being new you may want to test more to get a good feeling for what's going on. Eventually you'll get to where you comfortable with once a day, and perhaps an extra test here or there if you have an unusual load or situation.
I added 2ppm last night and This morning I was still at 3-6. So i added another 2ppm and tested an hour later and im back up to 5-10. Kids swam yesterday for 3 hours. I added borax and was able to get my ph up from 6.8 to 7.5. Is that good or do i need to get it up to 7.8?
Also tested CYA this morning. I had previously added 40ppm to the pool in a sock. Dot does not completely disappear until around 30-35ppm. Did i test too soon? My goal was to get cya to 40ppm and keep chlorine as close to 5ppm as i can.

Ph between 7.2 and 7.8 is good. It's usually recommended to wait a few days or a week before testing CYA. Also there's a "proper way" to do it. Standing up, back to the sun, vial at about waist height, it's a bit subjective. I believe there's a you tube video showing the "proper way", it may be linked in pool school, I'm not sure.

On of the reasons it's preferred to add chlorine in the evening is once it gets dark you don't have the sun depleting it. So you should see little chlorine loss over night. That's gives it quite a bit of time "at full strength" to work on whatever's in the pool, before the sun comes up and people get in and start using it up. However that doesn't mean you can't do a top up or boost anytime, just that evening is preferred for regular dosing.

I assume you started with a new pool, rather than the one that turned into a swamp last year? Assuming that, and you keep chlorine up, you shouldn't have any problems. FYI some signs to watch for that would indicate the beginning of an algae problem and the need to take action early; slimy feeling sides and bottom, cloudy water, unusual and consistent excessive chlorine demand. I follow the same advice I've given you and I've had no problems, the sides and bottom of my pool pretty much squeak when you rub them and the water sparkles.

Ph between 7.2 and 7.8 is good. It's usually recommended to wait a few days or a week before testing CYA. Also there's a "proper way" to do it. Standing up, back to the sun, vial at about waist height, it's a bit subjective. I believe there's a you tube video showing the "proper way", it may be linked in pool school, I'm not sure.

On of the reasons it's preferred to add chlorine in the evening is once it gets dark you don't have the sun depleting it. So you should see little chlorine loss over night. That's gives it quite a bit of time "at full strength" to work on whatever's in the pool, before the sun comes up and people get in and start using it up. However that doesn't mean you can't do a top up or boost anytime, just that evening is preferred for regular dosing.

I assume you started with a new pool, rather than the one that turned into a swamp last year? Assuming that, and you keep chlorine up, you shouldn't have any problems. FYI some signs to watch for that would indicate the beginning of an algae problem and the need to take action early; slimy feeling sides and bottom, cloudy water, unusual and consistent excessive chlorine demand. I follow the same advice I've given you and I've had no problems, the sides and bottom of my pool pretty much squeak when you rub them and the water sparkles.
Great so i wasted my cya test ugh only came with enough for 2 tests and i brought it in the house lol. Ill try again next weekend should be ok as long as i keep chlorine up.

Great so i wasted my cya test ugh only came with enough for 2 tests and i brought it in the house lol. Ill try again next weekend should be ok as long as i keep chlorine up.

If you look at the CYA / Chlorine chart you'll see if you're maintaining the chlorine along the lines of what I suggested youre pretty much covered with a CYA range anywhere from 30-50. You'll always be below 30cya shock level and always be above 50cya minimum, so your in the "safe" zone across that spectrum. Try to shoot for as close to 40 on the CYA as you can, just keep in mind there is some tolerance if it's not perfect. And once you get a CYA reading you're confident in you can fine tune your chlorine targets.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome poolnewbie82 :D

What helped me immensely was reading all of these links over and over one winter :rolleyes: Nothing as great as a free education.

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Thank you i have read them several times. Helps to have reassurance that you are understanding it correctly. Everyone has been such a great help

If you look at the CYA / Chlorine chart you'll see if you're maintaining the chlorine along the lines of what I suggested youre pretty much covered with a CYA range anywhere from 30-50. You'll always be below 30cya shock level and always be above 50cya minimum, so your in the "safe" zone across that spectrum. Try to shoot for as close to 40 on the CYA as you can, just keep in mind there is some tolerance if it's not perfect. And once you get a CYA reading you're confident in you can fine tune your chlorine targets.
So i still haven't retested cya yet. Will on Sat. I have been adding 2-3 ppm every evening. By mid day im testing at 1 or 3 on the 6 way kit. I end up using 4 -5 ppm through out day and evening. If i added 4ppm every evening instead of breaking it up would it hurt us to swim? Tonight i tested at 3-6 and added 2ppm. It was only that high this evening bc we didn't swim today. I put enough cya in to get up to 40. Very hot and humid full sun and i have a 5 and 8 yr i suspect are peeing in pool even though we take potty breaks. 5 ppm for me is 5 cups of bleach. Id like to get where I'm adding less than that a day

Important that you keep the chlorine level up at or above the 3-6 level as a minimum, if your cya is approaching 40. Whether that means adding twice a day or more each evening, that's up to you. Its typically stated here, that it's safe to swim up to shock level. I tell my wife when there's extra kids over to add an extra 12oz bleach in the morning, that seems to keep it above my minimum target in the evening when I test and I still have to add my normal evening dose. That puts me in the 4-5ppm range on those days. I like to stay solidily in the 5-10 range. To me dropping into the 3-6 is cutting it close.

If you want some more tools to play around with you can always get the TF100 and a speedstir.

Ok

Thank you again!
Important that you keep the chlorine level up at or above the 3-6 level as a minimum, if your cya is approaching 40. Whether that means adding twice a day or more each evening, that's up to you. Its typically stated here, that it's safe to swim up to shock level. I tell my wife when there's extra kids over to add an extra 12oz bleach in the morning, that seems to keep it above my minimum target in the evening when I test and I still have to add my normal evening dose. That puts me in the 4-5ppm range on those days. I like to stay solidily in the 5-10 range. To me dropping into the 3-6 is cutting it close.

If you want some more tools to play around with you can always get the TF100 and a speedstir.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.