CYA testing question..

I’ve seen lots of different posts with different answers. If at 70 the dot is still visible but at 60 dot is gone is the CYA 70 or is it 60??
70, always use the last value you could see clearly in increments of ten, as you’ve done. The test is logarithmic, so half way is not 65 as you might think it is.

I've seen 2 different instructions on CYA test listed as official instructions on this forum..... Before today, I had never seen the "shake 30 seconds, wait 2-3 minutes, then briefly shake again, then do the test. I've always just shaken for 30 seconds, and then done the test. Am I doing it wrong?

Here are the 2 different instruction links:

***Note, that step 5 of the 2nd link I posted, says "Gradation closest to the fill level is CYA". It says nothing about rounding up, on that link, and in fact the wording, as worded implies you would even round down, if it was closer, so I'm confused.

I've always followed the instructions that are in my k2006 which aligns with the first link you provided. I don't know that second link as well, so would like to see other comments. In the meantime, I'd trust the first link.

I have found the following method removes doubt about what graduation to select and also makes it easier to determine if you see the dot or not.

Make your 50/50 solution using your pool water and the R-0013 reagent.

Mix it and let it sit for 30 seconds per the instructions (my instructions state to shake, wait 30 secs and do one more shake before pouring the solution i.e. TF-100 laminated instructions)

Rather than looking down the tube at the black dot and pouring your mixed solution. I suggest you squirt enough in your tube to a specific mark - such a 100. Then look in the tube for the black dot. If you see it, then squirt in more mixture to the 90 mark, Then look in the tube for the black dot. Continue this for each decade graduation ( i.e. 80, 70, etc.)

On the one you cannot see the dot then the previous mark is your CYA level. So if you saw the black dot at 50 but not at the 40 mark then your CYA is 50. This way you are never putting the solution between 2 graduation marks. You are only looking at the bottom for the black dot at defined graduations.

This way you are not staring at the black dot constantly and seeing it regardless. I remember my teacher in grade school had us stare at a black dot for 60 secs and then look up and we saw that black dot everywhere we looked - its the same effect if you stare down that tube.

Hope this helps you and does not add to any confusion.

Reactions: Newdude and mknauss
I have found the following method removes doubt about what graduation to select and also makes it easier to determine if you see the dot or not.

Make your 50/50 solution using your pool water and the R-0013 reagent.

Mix it and let it sit for 30 seconds per the instructions (my instructions state to shake, wait 30 secs and do one more shake before pouring the solution i.e. TF-100 laminated instructions)

Rather than looking down the tube at the black dot and pouring your mixed solution. I suggest you squirt enough in your tube to a specific mark - such a 100. Then look in the tube for the black dot. If you see it, then squirt in more mixture to the 90 mark, Then look in the tube for the black dot. Continue this for each decade graduation ( i.e. 80, 70, etc.)

On the one you cannot see the dot then the previous mark is your CYA level. So if you saw the black dot at 50 but not at the 40 mark then your CYA is 50. This way you are never putting the solution between 2 graduation marks. You are only looking at the bottom for the black dot at defined graduations.

This way you are not staring at the black dot constantly and seeing it regardless. I remember my teacher in grade school had us stare at a black dot for 60 secs and then look up and we saw that black dot everywhere we looked - its the same effect if you stare down that tube.

Hope this helps you and does not add to any confusion.

This is exactly how I do my CYA measurement.... I read it on TFP somewhere before a while back.

I'm still wondering about the 2 to 3 minute wait instruction. I thought I had read somewhere on TFP that from the time you mix the CYA test (water + R-0013), you have around 4 minutes or so to perform the test a few times. Waiting 2 to 3 minutes would take up a big chunk of that 4 minutes.

Waiting 2 to 3 minutes would take up a big chunk of that 4 minutes
I haven’t seen that, it very well could be, but sucking it up into the squirter and back into the vial gives you 4 more minutes to battle the googley eye either way. :)

curse YOU googley eye !!!!!!

oh, who am I kidding. I can’t stay mad at such a silly little fella. *sigh*.

i have a 50ppm std mix that i check every time i test cya. check it at 60, 50, 40 marks so i can see the differences in dot appearance. then check my pool water the same way, starting with 10ppm higher than i expect. when i see the same dot appearance as for the 50ppm std, i have my reading. of course this presumes the 50ppm std is accurate and stable.

Taylor has a New CYA Kit K-1720. I just purchased bottle #9194 and Graduated Tube #9193. You use a double the Reagent but I swear it is much easier to read. It is like testing for FC using 25ML vs 10ML. I had thought I was at 70ppm turns out it is 60ppm so bringing it up right now.

• Love
Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Taylor has a New CYA Kit K-1720. I just purchased bottle #9194 and Graduated Tube #9193. You use a double the Reagent but I swear it is much easier to read. It is like testing for FC using 25ML vs 10ML. I had thought I was at 70ppm turns out it is 60ppm so bringing it up right now.

This 1720 kit came out over a year ago from what I've searched, and I watched "Jason's" video months ago, and I was like... huh?...?

I use 25ML for FC all the time, I like the better accuracy, so I'm totally down for the 1720 kit if it's awesome and easier to be more accurate.

How do you use this K-1720 kit? Here's Jason video. I never pulled the trigger on it, when I first saw this video.

Is it basically similar to the Taylor 2006 kit series test for CYA, only more liquid, so more pinpoint accurate? How is it any better, for trying to tell 60 vs 70, as you say? the lines look really thin in that CYA range.

Last edited:
How is it any better, for trying to tell 60 vs 70, as you say?
Because the tube is larger there is more distance between the values, which means less chance of seeing it both ways. Imagine if you only had to guess if it was either 100 or 20, It would be cake. If the tube was big enough, and the soulution was diluted right, 100 and 90 could be that far apart as well. You would use a ton of soulution in this example, but you get the idea :)

it’s using the same proportion of mix so in order to use a larger tube they must have messed with the googley eye at the bottom. Or it’s skinnier but taller. I think we just found a $3 hack. Bravo @ArsenalFan

Last edited:
Either way, I ordered a 1720 kit an hour ago, so I guess we'll see. I like accuracy ! Thanks for the thoughts and explanations, etc.

The distance between the values still looked really small to me in the 60-80 range on the 1720 kit...... but I guess we'll see.

Is it basically similar to the Taylor 2006 kit series test for CYA, only more liquid, so more pinpoint accurate? How is it any better, for trying to tell 60 vs 70, as you say? the lines look really thin in that CYA range.
The TF-100 kit uses the larger volume - 15ml of sample and 15ml of R-0013. I find that along with the CYA tube provided in the TF-100 kit so much better than what is in the K-2006 test kit, which as you say, is half the volume (7.5ml of each)

No need to buy the whole kit unless your CYA is under 20 or over 100ppm. Just purchase the bottle #9194 and Graduated Tube #9193. You should already have the CYA Reagent.

Just purchase the bottle #9194 and
No need to buy the bottle. :) It’s a 50/50 mix either way. Going larger doesn’t matter. However, The cap might make the water a tad more turbulent and easier to make the dot disappear.

My mix water would settle if I didn’t look quick. The instructional video above has it sit for a bit before trying to check the under 20 reading. So there’s settles too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.