CYA test sample doesn’t turn cloudy.

JL5086

Aug 1, 2019
Brunswick Maine
This is the opposite problem I had last summer, when my pool water had crazy high levels of CYA. Since then I have replaced my liner, converted to SWG, and refilled the pool with new city water. Now I have everything up and running and got my salt levels at about 3500ppm. But I am having an issue with balancing, I have tested everything but the chlorine, since I have not run the generator yet, the PH=7.5, the TA=70ppm, the CH=40ppm (low I think), but the CYA test never turns the sample cloudy even a little, so I don’t know what to do as far as raising it. Should I assume it’s almost 0, and just add what’s needed? Or add half that maybe, so I can get a reading from the test? Also is there any reason I should even test the chlorine levels, if it’s still just basically tap water with salt added? Thanks.

Or add half that maybe, so I can get a reading from the test?
Sneak up on it. Half is usually a good rule of thumb but I like to go even slower personally. It is easy to over-shoot. Just note that it could take several days for powder CYA to show up in your test results. Search the forum for the "CYA sock" method. Essentially you put the powder in a sock tied to a string dangled in front of your return. Helps it to dissolve better.

Thank you, that helps. Would I be better off getting it in liquid form then? Also, as far as the CH reading of 40, I’ve seen the target level vary considerably, as it sits now would you recommend adjusting now, or should I just check again once I’ve added stabilizer and run the generator a bit? Thanks.

Thank you, that helps. Would I be better off getting it in liquid form then? Also, as far as the CH reading of 40, I’ve seen the target level vary considerably, as it sits now would you recommend adjusting now, or should I just check again once I’ve added sanitizer and run the generator a bit? Thanks.
Granular CYA will dissolve in a day or two. Just set the sock in the skimmer or hang it in front of a return and squeeze it every so often. Low CH is not really a problem in a vinyl pool. You may see surface foaming. If you do, and it bugs you, raise CH.

Reactions: JL5086
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.