CYA Reducers

tclproductions

Bronze Supporter
May 20, 2017
Westlake village, CA
Hi there,

My CYA was 125 and I used this CYA reducer (Cyanuric Acid Reducer Reduce CYA Levels by Bio-Wish Technologies Bio-Active | eBay) to bring it down to 100. Still very high. I am considering doing 2 more rounds and hope to end up in the 60's possibly.

Replacing the water is no option right now as we need to re-plaster by the end of this year which means a full replace. I just need to get thru this summer. Yellow algae keeps coming.

Question - is the CYA reducer really effective?

Thanks!!

Welcome to TFP!

There are many threads discussing that product and I don't think anyone actually reported that it worked as advertised. Replacing water is likely cheaper anyway.

We have had some members try it and the results were meh. Some reported a small reduction, such as you had, and others saw no reduction at all. Overall it did not seem to be beneficial. Unless your water is really expensive it may be more cost effective to do a partial drain and refill rather than buy another $70 worth of this stuff that may or may not work.

Since the margin of error of a melamine based CYA test is +/- 15 ppm, it is possible your 25 ppm loss was nothing but testing error. Did you test it yourself or did someone else?

There really is no better way to reduce CYA than water replacement. Odds are if you go down the bioactive path you will wish you had just done a partial water change and gotten it right the first time.

Regardless, welcome to TFP and hope to see you around!

Since the margin of error of a melamine based CYA test is +/- 15 ppm, it is possible your 25 ppm loss was nothing but testing error. Did you test it yourself or did someone else?

There really is no better way to reduce CYA than water replacement. Odds are if you go down the bioactive path you will wish you had just done a partial water change and gotten it right the first time.

Regardless, welcome to TFP and hope to see you around!

Thanks so much Guys for the help! - I had the guys at Leslies test it for me

I may just deal with the algae by brushing every other week...just to get thru summer. Water is finally 85, if I drain then I am starting all over temp wise (temp all solar cover based). Kiddo's will be mad at me. Then do the re-plaster later this year. I have a whole bunch of questions regarding that too but want to find the time first to read thru the wealth of information that is presented here.

I am amazed that the people that work in local pool stores don't ever put FC together with CYA. I go to the store and the guy tells me...oh boy, your FC is off the charts, 15, don't swim!!...then I find out here that in regards to my high 100 CYA level its ok to swim as the chlorine is not effective.

I have had this pool for about 6 years (which is when we bought the house), its a very old anthony pool in desperate need to replaster. For the past 6 years I had very little issues. Used tabs, checked PH and everyone and then I had yellow algae which I would simply brush off. Last year, we added the solar cover and that got the water to 95 at the peak. I was expecting a lot of problems but had absolutely 0 algae for 4 months. Totally puzzled me. I wasn't doing anything different.

My only explanation is that I build up too much CYA during last season with the tabs and now I am screwed a bit. Have to brush once a week. Went thru 2 cycles of yellow out + shock. Probably never enough.

Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. We have also found the CYA test to be the worst of the pool store tests. It really should be done outside in full sun and they are doing it indoors under artificial light. Dim light generally equates to a higher reading.

So, they told you your CYA is 125 (CYA tests above 100 are just a guess, not very specific contrary to what the pool store says) and sold you a potion (at around $50) to reduce the CYA. You went bac and they then told you it worked, but only went down 25. We need to sell you 2 more doses (at around $50 each again) and you will be good to go. In years past pool stores told folks to ignore CYA, that it didn't mean anything. Now they say they have a potion to fix high CYA so now it's a problem. :confused:

I took over my pool with a CYA of about 250 but three different pool stores told me it was fine in the 60 - 90 range.

We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. You need to take control of your pool. Order a TF100 FAS/DPD test kit. If you really want to get fancy pick up a SpeedStir and Sample Sizer. They speed testing and accuracy. I have both and use them every time I test!

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with ABCs of Water Chemistry and Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis.

Please edit your signature and add the following information so we can better frame our answers to you.

• The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge)
  • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
  • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
  • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.

Additionally, please update your location in your profile to include the state. "Westlake village" really doesn't let me give you location specific advice as I have no idea if it's in Maine or Florida.

Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. We have also found the CYA test to be the worst of the pool store tests. It really should be done outside in full sun and they are doing it indoors under artificial light. Dim light generally equates to a higher reading.

Thanks, yeah I got a feeling about this after perusing all the info here

Added my Signature now

Last years pool "performance" was so puzzling to me. Zero Algea for the first time ever - entire summer with 90-95 degree water starting Mid June-September - Solar Cover on at all times (other then for time when using)

Going to get one of those test kits!! Thanks so much for the tip!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.