CYA reading

Renee1

Jun 6, 2016
Jackson, NJ
I am still not confident about reading the cya level when testing with the kit. I had it tested at a local pool store and it tested at 21. They recommended I add 5 pounds of stabilizer. I have been adding it in about 2 pound increments to make sure I don't overdo it.

Question 1: What is the optimal level for CYA? The calculator says ideal is 40-50 is that correct? Because the store told me 40-120!

Question 2: When I'm testing it myself, how "gone" should the black dot be? Because I feel like I can always still kind of make it out if I look hard enough...does that mean it's still low or that I'm just never going to have it be completely obliterated? I tested it again today and at 30 I could still see an outline of the black dot so I'm going to add another 2 pounds stabilizer.

Thanks

Because the store told me 40-120!
Never, never trust a pool store when it comes to proper water chemistry. I mean really, 40 TO 120!?!? They dont know TFP and will never understand it but know for sure 100 is too high, let alone 120! Take a look at the chart and you can go from there. In the south and west, CYA of 60 is normal with the beating sun and constant chlorine burn off, but 40-50 sounds just fine for me, and I tend to stick with the recomendations of the pool math app and TFP over some crazy pool store clerk.

Fill to one line, glance at the tube. Don't look for it, just glance. If you see it, go to the next line and then glance. Never stare cause you will always try to find that stupid black dot!

Reactions: calstar
Thank you. Yes, I knew not to trust those numbers but just couldn't seem to figure out the dot! Anyway, your help is appreciated and I'm more confident I will be able to read the level myself and adjust accordingly. TFP has been a huge help keeping our pool swimmable for a few years now and I don't want to go back to running to the store, buying their chemicals, and still having problems in the pool!. Everyone tells me its a waste of my time to add bleach every day and test every day, but those few minutes save hours and a lot of money.

Thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.