CYA Loss or Improper test

semperfi

Bronze Supporter
May 23, 2017
enfield, ct
Hi all,
I added CYA about 1 quart 3 weeks ago about a week after testing it was 40. Recently did a 2-3 day SLAM. Checked CYA yesterday was 25.
How reliable is the CYA test with the black dot. Tested at dusk.
FC 2 added shock since
pH 7.2
TA 110
CH 225
CYA 25
Use a solar cover when not swimming.
Has rained a bit so about 1inch extra water since test.

Cya should be tested in the sun with the sun to your back. I don't think your results will be very accurate if you take the test at dusk. why don't you try taking it if you can in the afternoon with the sun at your back and holding the vile down by your belly button. See what your results are hopefully they'll be where you want them.

Round CYA up also. At 25 CYA, log as 30. Half way between is not 25.
It is easier for me to fill to a couple lines below where I think it is without looking, lower to waist and glance at it. Raise, fill to next line if needed.

You can also dump it back in, shake fo the test multiple times, take an average if needed.

Buy it new every year from TF Pools so I know reagant is good. The water was cloudy and cleared quickly. Brand new sand filter no rise in pressure that was appreciated. No reason to backwash. Good points though. Thanks.

I read on here somewhere to fill the view tube to a level like 60, glance for dot, if you don't see it go to 50, glance for dot, and so on until you can't see the dot with a quick glance. This method works perfectly for me and prevents those in-between results like 35.

Last edited:
Reactions: mickey4paws
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.