aces79

Jun 2, 2018
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’m trying to get my water balanced and I’m waiting on a new test kit to come in, in the meantime I’ve noticed that my CYA level is low until I shock my pool. Once I shock, my CYA level reads way too high, but after the shock dissipates, the CYA level is low again.

I use liquid pool chlorine to shock with.

What I’m trying to figure out is, which CYA reading do I go by? The reading before I shock is too low, the reading after I shock is to high.

Do I add more or not?

My pool sits right out in the sun. From past experience, if I don’t keep my CYA levels good, I have a really tough time keeping any chlorine in my pool at all.

What are you using to test the CYA?

EDIT: Never mind, I saw you mentioned test strips in another thread. That'll do it. The increased chlorine is throwing off the test. Simple as that. The CYA isn't changing, the test is just failing to provide a reliable result. Which sums up test strips pretty well. The CYA test in your new kit will provide a more accurate and reliable result regardless of the chlorine level.

Last edited:
Reactions: aces79
Well, you say you are waiting on a test kit, so continue to wait.

It is impossible for CYA to go up and down like that. So, whomever is saying it's going up and down is wrong.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.