Cya level super high/Chlorine too low

For that to be truly effective you need to separate the new water from the old. That is what the tarp method does.

- - - Updated - - -

At the bottom of the Pool Math page it tells you what each puck and bag will add to your pool. An example would be, each 8oz puck will add 1.7 ppm FC and 1ppm CYA to your pool. And the CYA doesn't go away so every day you are adding 3.4ppm of FC to makeup normal daily loss, you are adding 2 ppm CYA. so after 30 days you have added 60 ppm CYA. OUCH!
And that's not including all the "shock" you added.

Again I feel your pain, but your plan has a few flaws in it. Basically, the only way to get CYA down is to do water replacement. Your CYA may be much more than 100, that is the top of the scale. SO we do not know what your CYA is yet. You can do a dilution test, where you take equal amounts of tap water and pool water mix them together then test that mixture as pool water for the CYA test. If you get a result of 50 ppm for that then it would verify 100 ppm CYA in pool as starting. If it were 80 then then 160 ppm of CYA. If you do partial drain and fills you will use way more water than your pool holds because when you add water it becomes part of the dilution factor when you drain again. It would be much more effective both time and cost to do the tarp method I linked above.

That is including the cost of the tarp.

Also I think you will run out of time trying to do it the way you are, it will be close with tarp method, but the way you are doing it now is wasting time and throwing away money, much faster if you drain down to 1 foot left in deep end then fill up, then drain down again and fill ect. but it may take several of these drains and fills to get to a manageable level.

Not trying to discourage you but give you help. I am not helping if I do not tell you the truth.

Of course you are helping! I appreciate all input.

Ok, I just tested the water for the first time today. After draining a foot and refilling the pool I'm at just under 100 CYA. Made me really happy to see I'm at least on the test results. . . I'm going to read the tarp method now.

If you are going to drain and refill then you need to drain the pool as far as possible, that is about 1' deep in the shallow end of the pool. After the pool has drained that far only then turn the hose on to refill. This method will very likely take more than one drain/refill to get your CYA down from 120.

The other option is the tarp method, it can work great if you do it correctly. The very first post here has some great pics and video of the tarp method in action.

Either way you need to keep the new water completely separate from the water you are draining out in order to achieve maximum dilution.

Stop filling the pool, it is really not helping and be sure to turn off your drain pumps before you get to less than 1' in shallow end, I would just stop them now. Then I would buy a tarp at Home Depot, Lowes, Harbor Freight or similar, (call to see if they have one). You will need a 40 x 60 size to allow for depth. Spread it over the pool and let it lay flat, you do not need all the bricks as in the video, to hold it in place just enough so it does not blow all over. Try to get the tarp to lay on the water of the pool as much as possible. Then start to fill, I am assuming you can pump your pool by isolating the bottom drain and pumping to waste. Then as the pool fills pump more water out, remember you always want to have at least 1 foot or more water in the shallow end so liner will not shift. When you have pumped out about 75% of water, pull the tarp out like in the video. As the tarp fills with water it will pull the excess tarp into the pool, you may have to adjust , like in the video, so the edge of the tarp does not go into water and lets the 2 waters mix. My problem is always getting enough fill water to keep up with my pump, I assume it will be the same with yours, that way do not have to worry about external pump, but can use external pump just be sure not to get a seal of the out take water hose on the liner where it could suck up the liner. But with my pool pump it easily out performs the three hoses I have to fill. Also get as many hoses filling the pool as possible.

I will post this and then another post in case you can not get the tarp, it will take longer and will cost more if your water costs similar to mine, but if you can not find a large tarp, it would be my plan B.

Also other TFPers, be sure I am not missing something. domct203 and pabeader I know both of you are very good, do not let me miss something. Also any other experts feel free to chime in.

If you do this take pictures.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok my plan B, is the plan dssmith99 outlined in post #29. But, it will take at least 2 and possibly a third partail drain to do it. You can start it by at least draining to 1' in shallow end while seeing if you can get a tarp, if you can't you haven't lost much time, if you can it is worth getting the tarp, with my quick calculations. Again, other TFP members chime in with your calculations on time and cost. It is close especially if OP is only at 100 or 120 ppm of cya. If OP has 30,000 gal rectangle 20 x 40 pool and a 3 foot deep shallow section OP can pump 2' of water out, I believe that would be about 12,000 gallons removed, bringing 120 ppm CYA down to 80 CYA, if OP does it a second time it would bring CYA down to 53, which while not optimal would could be manageable. A third partial drain would bring it to 35 and a good level for a SLAM.

Also, once you have your plan in place and are at a waiting phase where you can go out get some liquid chlorine. Also do you have a heater?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.